Easy vegetables?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I have two small flower beds I would like to use for herbs and veggies.

What vegetables are easy to grow, and won't take up tons of space? Can I easily grow anything in a container? I'm willing to get some large containers if I think something will grow in it.

TIA,
-Jennifer

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i have grown tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant in no larger than 5 gal pots. i even over wintered my peppers in the gh. hasn't stopped producing. oh and 1 yr i grew cucumbers in pots and grew them up my fence.
i say go for it. plant anything you want. chances are they will grow and produce well.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry to ask more questions, but ...

what kind of tomatoes? what kind of peppers? What is the name of the eggplant?

:)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Jen,
Any of the tomatoes,peppers and eggplants will do fine in containers as will summer squash, the cukes,lettuce...just about anything.

What you need to do is decide what you like about each veggie as far as taste and use goes, and we'll help you find varieties that will meet your descriptions.

Think of these containers as mini raised beds and a whole world of 'farming' will be opened to you.

Do you like tomatoes with a sour 'bite' or the milder 'creamier' textured ones? Do you eat mainly salads or like slicers for sandwiches? Do you make salsa, or soup?

There are many flavors among veggies. I tend to like the pickle type of cukes for fresh eating...many don't because they have a bitter skin that needs peeling. I prefer the flavor of this type to the traditional 'salad use' ...just my personal taste, and what I grew up eating.

There are literally thousands of varieties of each veggie and everyone will have their personal favorites for just these reasons...a childhood memory...or a specific use.

You've got this great new little 'farm' and by all means put some edibles in and around...it will get you hooked in no time.

Tell us a bit more about what you want to do as far as useage and taste preference and maybe we can suggest some varieties that you can find easily...(I've got about 2000 little tomatoes in my greenhouse right now...if I can figure out how to ship...hmmm)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I even grew mellons in a container and how about herbs. Grape tomatoes do great in containers.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

HoniBee is right...just make sure that whatever you grow gets proper food and moisture and the sky's the limit.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

For tomatoes - I'm looking for a kind to make a sauce from. I don't enjoy them sliced ... :P
Cucumbers - I don't mind peeling, as long as they're not all seeds. I enjoy slicing these on salads, as well as cubing for a snack.
Peppers- same deal .. good on salads, and maybe for cooking with, but not the hot ones....
Melons ?! In a container?! What kind? How? :) This one sounds great!

I'm willing to amend the soil in those beds, as they get plenty plenty of sunshine. I just can't convince myself to tear up grass for a new bed, so I've decided I'm going to work in the two small beds available, as well as containers..

Thanks!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

There are some lovely small Asian melons that are perfect for single folks. Our own Baker Creek Seeds has a wonderful selection. www.rareseeds.com

I'm growing Tigger this season and looking forward to my harvest. Melons need lots of moisture...remember that.

As far as soil goes, I'd get some topsoil,compost and old manure...mix it with some peat moss. This will give you a light planting medium with some 'built in' nuitrients. You need something a touch different than potting mix that you put ornamentals in.

As far as sauce type tomatoes...most of the ones that say 'paste' type are on the dry side and have less juice so they are easier to cook down. I personally don't care for most of them, because they tend to lack flavor too.

I'd get a good thick meated regular type tomato and just cook it a little longer. Any of the potato leaved pinks are thick and meaty. Brandywine, Prudens Purple, German are good examples. The hearts are good and meaty too..there are several of them too. A mix of varieties will make for a nice sauce...you should be able to find Marglobe in your area. It's a decent commercial variety that is productive. Some of the pinks are not as productive, so you'll need something to balance with volume for your sauce.

You can't go wrong with Straight 8 cukes. You'll have to peel, but you can find them anywhere there are veggie seed racks.

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5a)

I've grown tomatoes in pots when I lived in an apartment. I lived on the third floor and grew them in pots on my balcony which faced south west.

It worked pretty well. I grew a varity called "patio tomato". The plants didn't get as big as some other do, which was nice since my balcony was small. I"ve heard some say that this varity isn't as flavorful as others, but I thought it tasted good (and much better then the supermarket). I've seen a "bush early girl" which is a compact plant in the seed catalogs (not to be confused with early girl).

You should be able to grow any type of tomato plant with the right pot. So, you arn't limited to the compact ones. Regardless of the type you choose be sure to use a big pot, and plan for a way to support the tomato plant such as a stake or a cage. When it gets hot you may have to water them as much as twice a day, depending on you pot size.

I also grew parsley and mint in pots. They did quite well.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Bryan

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i am trying a new eggplant this yr called "white cloud" the skin is white and supposed to be tender so no peeling. cucumber i am hooked on the lemon. again no peeling involved lol.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I grew Cloud Nine one year and it was a great white e'plant.Most of the whites have a tender skin.

This year I'm trying some of the smaller violet and lavender blushed ones. Hopefully, the spring monsoons won't destroy me.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

for the first time in many yrs we are getting a lot of rain. everytime the field dries enough to get to planting it rains again. i do not want to complain but i wish it would give us a break for about 2 weeks but i know once it stops it will stop for the summer. this is texas lol.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Johnny's, Red Agate is a good tasting paste Tomato [78 days]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.