Stolen Idea!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I had read notmarthas post about how to start daylilies in water and peroxide and decided if it worked that well for daylilies that maybe it would help some of the other seeds that are harder to get started. http://davesgarden.com/t/414635/notmartha

I am now using it for everything that I want to soak and am really impressed with the results.
I wish I could give you better information about length of times and which seeds work best, but I am still experimenting with both of those.

What I can tell you is that I have had some really great results.

Moonflowers, 4 o'clock, and morning glories all sprouted roots while they were soaking.
I have had great germination after the soak in the peroxide, distilled water mix.

I really wish that I had kept some data on it, so I could give you better information, but it was one of those "lets try this ideas" that worked out much better than I had any idea that it would.

Larger seeds and things with really hard outer shells I was leaving in the mix for about 3 days, some longer if the seeds were not swelling at all.

I have no idea what it does, but I figured if it could actually root and allow leaves on the daylily seeds that it must be good stuff!!!

I did keep track of some wisteria seeds that I soaked and I left them in the mixture for 3 days and then put in seed starter. I had 100% germination in less than 2 weeks and they are all ready about 4 inches high. I just have no idea if that is good or bad having never started them from seed before.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another one I use this on is canna seeds. Lots of seeds will sprout without it I know, but using distilled water and peroxide sure busts them out of the seed coats in a matter of days! I think one of the biggest benefits is the antiseptic quality of the peroxide. I use this mix to water seedlings with and rarely see mold or gnats (unless I just use plain water).

Kudos to Alice! You have been so much fun with your experiments this year. :)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

just today i learned that hydrogen peroxide is what our body produces to fight infection. it is water - H2O plus and extra O. now H2O2, the extra O leaves and attaches to the infection and kills it, leaving water.
so this would make a lot of sense when you have not seen any mold etc....

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Badssed I know I have started to scare myself with all my experiments!!!!
It certainly has made winter pass much faster than usual!
I have one other experiment in process that I am having what looks like will be good results with, and I will post when I am sure.
It is just fun to try different things and when they actually work successfully its even better.
You probably have noticed that I haven't written much about my dismal fairlures!!!!haha
Debi Thanks for the info, all I knew was it did something wonderful and that was good enough for me!!! My brain is just not very scientifically oriented!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, where are the failure posts? LOL Hey, I find that you learn much more from trial and error. It is much more likely to stick with you if you tried it and it worked or failed. If it failed, you will want to improve it and if it worked, you'll likely do it again. I have really enjoyed your experiments. :)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i'm learning a lot from your experiements too. i am not scientifically inclined, it was just a fluke that my dh had told me this , that very morning, and it actually stuck in my head. :) i don't have the energy to do much experimenting, but i'm grateful for those of you who do, and i can learn from you. dave's is full of very knowledgable folks.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I like to avoid even thinking about the failures, but all and all I have had more successes than failures.
I really appreciate the kind words, but I better warn you it probably only encourages me to post more about the things I try!!! haha
When you get bored let me know and I will try to stay quieter!!!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Hey friends.
I've found awesome uses for the H202 mix other than seed soaks.I never use it for seeds though, I use Maxicrop for that. I found a product a few years ago made by Safer's called "Liquid Oxygen" and it turned out to be fertilizer w/ h202 added. Then I found out "ironite" fertilizer uses it too. So me and a few friends started expiramenting w/ it.
It's amazing! I've found that it's impossible to overwater if you use h202. Its seems the plants can get more oxygen when you leave a suacer under the plant full of it instead of letting it dry out. I then had a plant that had rootrot really bad from being over watered indoors over winter. I used some H202 to water it and not only did the plant get plenty of oxygen, the H202 cleans or kills the anerobic bacteria that causes that odor and condition. Since then, I've used it most all winter when I have to bring the plants in. It works to help sterilize growing mediums. It also will help any plant that's been over watered indoors or out. You can't go wrong using it imo unless you get the concentration to strong. I don't know if that's possible using 3.5% Hydrogen peroxide found in drug/grocery stores. My Canadian friends went as far as buying hydrogen peroxide bleach, I didn't know there was such a thing. They were able to save money in the long run since it is so concentrated compared to the kind used for human wounds. They could use 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water when I was having to use almost a full bottle of 3.5%.

Well I'm worse than aknapp when it comes to posting and worrying about going on and on too much.LOL I know I've crossed that line so good day for now. Let me know if this info is useful and I'd happily provide more info it's its needed.
Thanks, Jeff

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Jeff, are you saying that you used almost a full bottle to a gallon of water? I'd like your recipe if you have a minute to jot it down and any other recipes that would help with growing seed and healthy plants. On the brug forum there is a recipe thread for anything that might help us with starting seeds and other things. Please take a look if you have some spare time. Sounds like you keep pretty busy growing lots of things.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

LOL Brugie. No that was "almost a full bottle of 3.5%" to 5 gallons. It was a dinky sized bottle too. It's been a couple years since I've needed or felt the need to mix that up, I did keep some notes though somewhere. I have such a small house so storage is a big deal plus I'm sitting in a wheelchair that keeps me from getting to the top closet shelf or the attic to find all these "notes". I'm ending this post here and will email Brugie the rest of the story.
Jeff

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the email Jeff. Hope I didn't put you to sleep with the one I wrote back to you. We live in a small house also, but I have almost three acres to play with. I have, so far, kept it to the immediate back yard. I don't want to have to drag a garden hose more than 150 ft. LOL!!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

LOL Bruggie, no way did you bore me. I was in the middle of short "novel" of an email reply lastnight until my wife had a small case of what I call "puter envy".LOL That happens when I pay too much attn. to the pc than her. So I didn't get a chance to finish my email, I will asap. Thanks for the kind words and offers!!! Do you know how far the Iowa round up is from say Des Moines? Des Moines is just a liitle more than 2 hours from me, if the round up isn't much further and everything goes well...I'll see you there hopefully;). I'm in total "Awww" of your garden/greenhouse. We have soo many projects going on here but we're going to fit a greenhouse in there somehow/someday. I just thought of enough updates to start another volume to my email coming your way!LOL Hopefully I won't bore you. I gotta get out of this forum so we can talk more. I'll write asap, Thanks, Jeff

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

JL Is that all I need to know is just the 3.5 ounces to 5 gallons of water or is there more to it than that. I would love to try this, I have a terrible problem with giving too much tender loving care to things, which usually means overwatering also.
I hope you make it to the Iowa round up I am excited about going and would love to meet you if you can make it!

ThanksAlice

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

No it's not that simple but close. It required some math to figure it out and I do have that info somewhere. I promise I'll find it. I also need to find my notes on the "KREB" cycle that plant/bacteria and trace elements do when they interact w/ one another as in nature. I have a recipe for a additive made of citric acid mixed w/ raw sugar to help in this process too but that's mainly for flavor I think and I haven't done that kind of gardening in years. You maybe able to beat me to it, try a search on "liquid oxygen" and the "kreb cycle". You may find all the info you need, I do remember the doctor and garden guru...Dr. Luther Thomas wrote most all of this info and discovered it too. He also happens to be the owner of "marine Land" aquarium products. I'll dig here too.
Jeff

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Jeff, I'm almost straight south of DesMoines by 50 miles. I think it will still be a two hour drive to get here. Check with Bob, but I think he says it takes him two hours.

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

I need the moron's recipe for soaking seeds..... I just ordered lots of morning glory seeds from Select. My first seeds.... patience is not my virtue.... so what do I soak them in?
Someone really needs to write "the idiots guide to starting seeds"!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi back the method Ihave been using is just 10% regular peroxide and 90 % distilled water. I have had great results using this mix, but this is strictly my own experiments and not well documented at this point.
I had been using just plain water to soak seeds and even that was working well.
I was told to soak morning glory seeds for 24 hours before putting into seed starter.
Depending on what you are using for trays either use the plastic dome lids or just cover with clear plastic wrap until the seeds begin to germinate.
I hope this helps.
If you do a search on seed starting you will find lots of threads about this subject and many different suggestions and advice.
I think we all try our own variations of tried and true methods.
Good luck with your seeds.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I've been soaking seeds in a Maxicrop/water mix. "Maxicrop" is a fancy liquid seaweed. I've been using it for everything you can imagine, cuts, seeds, seedling etc.. It's awesome imo and I've found it raises germination rates bigtime on older seeds. The wife and I have done side by sides w/ the same seeds, some in water and the others in maxicrop. There was no comparison, maxidrop gave us 99% germ rates and much faster to sprout where the seeds in water were at best 50/50 w/ germ rates that varied a LOT. Now I use "superthrive" on them as soon as the pop up. It's a hormone that tells the plant to root hard NOW and worry about vegatative growth a little later. It's great stuff. I wouldn't be afraid of mixing that w/ the hydrogen peroxide solution either. IMO, some of the best liquid ferts I've used have a combo of H2O2 and fertilizer. I'm going to do a mix of both this weekend for another side by side. I'll keep you posted
Jeff

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Jeff
I have heard of Maxicrop before and know that liquid seaweed is wonderful stuff, where would I find that. Only by mail order or do some gardening centers carry it.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I was sure hoping somebody that knew more than I do would come along and post to this question.
Alice

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

aknapp. I think Lowe's carries it now. Any garden center worth its wieght in flowers should carry it too. I go thru 5-6 bottles per summer easy. Mix that w/ superthrive and you have the best transplant food in the world imo. That miracle grow starter fert. is good on established plants but the wife really burnt some plants w/ it last year. I actually thought it was worth having around until that. GRRR

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

So Maxicrop and Superthrive are what I (and Alice) should be looking for at any Lowes.

Thanks, Jeff

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Well it depends on your local branch. The last 2 bottles of each product, I bought at the hydro shop. I was already there to buy oasis cubes and I'll pay the extra buck or whateverthe price difference is between chain stores and local shops.
Well I maybe all wrong, I just asked my wife and she said Lowe's had both products. I trust her memory over mine anyday depending on the decision.LOL The Maxicrop comes in 2 different kinds, the weaker/better green bottle w/ a shot glass like white cap. The Superthrive is usually displayed in tiny brown bottles w/ pale green metal lid. The label looks like it was drawn up in 1940(that's when it was introduced at the world's fair and won the gold medal) and is mainly yellow w/ a green stripe across the front. I hope that helps you in locating it. It's been years since I've read the label, man this is some seriouly STUFF and they've had a 5000$ bounty that's been out since 1940 to prove them wrong.
Twin I just got your email and am trying to reply. We're having a slumber party for my daughter's 15th B-day and I'm already worn out, LOL Nobodies sposed to show up till 5pm! Help me!
Man We moved all of our plants and seed trays out for the day only to see my nieghbor's dog run up the steps and overturned 3 full trays w/ all 72 sites full on each!!!GRRRMy labels are everywhere, now I won't know who's who until they all come up.
OK, I must stop thinking about this before this dog gets pellet gun training. Please wish me well cuz I need a LOT of patients to get thru the next 24-36 hours.
TWIN if you and Alice can't locate Maxicrop/Superthrive, lemme know and I'll send you some asap.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Jeff
Thanks so much for your info. I can relate to your dog problems. I went out yesterday and realized that the fake greenhouse we had made the first of the week must have gotten to cold last night (Friday) and had lost about 30 plants. From there on the day went down hill. We had incredible winds and the greenhouse thing blew down. I went to get stuff to build a hoop house and it blew down about 3 times before I finally got it held down a bit better with my sons help.
I am guessing I will not have a plant left by today, but finally had to give up about 10:00 p.m. on rescuing everything. I was wet, cold, and tired and decided they would either make it or not. I guess we will find out how tough they are.
This morning when I looked out it appears that all but one portion of the plastic held, but I know it was really cold last night so I am no holding out much hope.
I guess life is still one big learning experience for me!
Thanks so much for all of your advice and I will try to get to Lowe's this week to get both of these products.
Thanks
Alice

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

OH NO! I didn't know you were a Yankee In Michigan Alice. You poor gal. I lived in Midland for 8 or so years. We moved from S. Oklahoma to Midland and OMG...It was a nightmare. Winter has no business lasting longer the spring,summer and fall combined. I found the people up there(atleast where we lived) just so rude and negative. It took 3 years b4 we met 1 of our next door niegthbor's but we hit it off great w/ the other. I think that was due to them being Okies too.LOL I do miss the fishing and skiing alot but we just couldn't handle all that winter.LOL No offense meant, I'm just ribbing you. It's not like living in Kansas is any great treat either but atleast the season's are back to "normal".LOL
Lemme know if you can find those products, if not, my offer is still good;)
Jeff

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much Jeff I really appreciate the offer! I enjoyed the humor also!!!! I told somebody a while ago it was about all I had left!!!
Still haven't had the nerve to venture out, but will get there shortly and see what has managed not to blow away.

I noticed a few minutes ago that my cement garden angel in the front yard blew over last night and she must weigh about 200 pounds, probably not a good sign!

I am starting to feel a little like Dorothy from the "Wizard of Oz" only I didn't think I was in Kansas!!! haha

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, went to Lowes last night looking for Maxi crop & super thrive, but didn't find them. What I did find, though was: Liquid Ironite plant & flower food plus oxygen. Now I think I water with that after they're up, right? The other thing I found was Green Light Root stimulator & starter solution, made with indole-3-butyric acid 5-20-10. Can I soak the seeds with that or do I water when they just come up? All these questions. Am going out one night this week or maybe next Saturday to a garden center where I know they have Maxi crop & super thrive. I am soaking about 30 different kinds of seeds (most of them morning glories) in the distilled water-peroxide mix that I use to soak lily seeds. It was interesting to see all the bubbles made by the peroxide. I will be planting these seeds in the oasis cubes in the hot mat tonight & I will turn the thermostat down to 75 degrees.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I know the Ironite very well, that's 1 more of the ferts mixed w/ H202 for liquid oxygen. It's a great fert, I don't think I'd use it on babies unless the directions say its safe. As a rule, seedlings and cuts need none or very little nutrient. Maxicrop fert values are 0.1-0-1.0 if you buy the green bottle thats liquid seaweed. They have a fish based fert in the yellow bottle that's 5-1-1. I never use and ferts on seedlings until they put on the second set of leaves that are fully grown except for Green Maxicrop(I don't really see that as a fert since it's values are so low), I usually mix in some superthrive too. Both are great for watering cuts or seedlings.
I think I've seen the other product you mentioned, it seems the concept of "liquid O2" is finally catching on w/ mainstream companies. What are the values on the second bottle you mentioned? It maybe mild enough for this purpose. The way I look at it and what I've been taught: Seeds have the hormones and a small amount of fertilizer built into them. That's how seedlings can grow out on a paper towel or on bare ground, Ma Nature filled the seeds full of everything they need to get rolling, THEN they start using/taking up alternative food/ferts.LOL Do I make any sense? I don't feel like I do and I never re-read my posts before posting.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Green Light Root stimulator & starter solution is 2-20-10 for newly planted flowers, shrubs & trees. An aid to the development of fast root structure, strong root structure and green vigorous plants. It has 5% ammoniacal Nitrogen, 20% Available Phosphate , 10% soluble Potash. Derived from: Diammonum phosphate, Ammonium Polyphosphate, Potassium Hydroxide and Muriate of Potash and Chlorine, not more than 3%. It says information regarding the contents & levels of metals in this product is available on the internet at:
http://www.regulatory-info-gl.com
Hope that answers your questions. I guess it's only for older seedlings after they've been transplanted into pots.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Yup. That 1 is mainly for reducing transplant shock on mature, well established plants. I bet its pretty good stuff, I like some kind of fertilizer or the like that's intended just for reducing transplant shock. We've used the miracle grow product meant just for this purpose. That's the only miracle grow product I can't stand. We thought it was good stuff at 1st, next thing I knew my plants had burnt tips and were shocked!LOL Guess you never know til you try.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Just got done soaking about 30 different types (mostly Morning Glories) of seeds & the roots are coming out already in 24 hours, after being soaked in the peroxide distilled water mix. Hallalujah. LOL. I am soaking other seeds (in the pea family) to see how they do. I had some rather old (2 years) Veltheima seeds and I soaked them overnight too and they too are cracking open. I'm tickled pink, er, green, with this new discovery. Thanks to you DG-er's for the tip. I'm going to try soaking some very old seeds with it & see if it rejuvenates them. Love these experiments.

My mg seeds got here & I'm ready to go. I have my Superthrive & my peroxide, but I'm terrified about the mixing thing..... Would a teaspoon of peroxidide & a drop of Superthrive together be better? Is it one or the other? HELP!!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, you could use the 3/4 TBSP peroxide to 1 cup distilled water to a drop of Superthrive. I would think that would work.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

You use superthrive@ 3-4 drops, 1 TBSP of peroxide and 1 cap ful of maxicrop. I usually don't use superthrive until the seeds have come up. I kinda think Buttoneer's suggestion of that much peroxide to 1 cup of water is really extreme. I didn't start using peroxide on seeds until this year, I'm not certain that it helps, it hasn't hurt either. I use all three products religously once the seedlings are on their 2nd set of leaves. I'm from the school that seeds should contain all the nutrients needed to get the plant to that 1st set of leaves atleast. That has always worked for me even before discovering all these newer plant tricks.
Goodluck and let us know how it goes;)

My seeds are in the mix..... now what? How long should they soak? I am so bad at math, I think I ordered too many seeds, although how could you ever have too many plants. I wanted a jungle of vine effect so I ordered 6 packs of all the mg seeds at select. I'm hoping morning glory take over! Here's a photo of one spot I'm planting. Any thoughts? Other than a sweet pea, this will be my first seed.

Thumbnail by back2back
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I just set to soak some old (1996) Vermont Cranberry pole beans in the peroxide/distilled water mixture to see what happens.

I tried germinating some of the same batch with the damp paper towel in a ziplock bag method and none germinated. Hope this works, keep your fingers crossed!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't had any problems with the ratio of peroxide to distilled water. What I did was take the notmartha forum where it was in mil and convert it to bakers measure to make it easier since I didn't have any graduated beakers. I successfully germinated 2 Australian MG Seeds (Operculina brownii) that I have had for several years and never were able to get the little buggers to germinate. I figured it was because their seasons are reversed, but I think it was the germination inhibitors in the seed and this mix seems to have broken the code, if you know what I mean and I have two nice size seedlings. Yippee!!! Also, Sesbania formosa (from Australia) germinated so if I can do it with 2 species, the rest ought to come easy.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

One bean out of ten has sprouted so far (3 days). The same day, 4/7/04, I started soaking 10 Vermont Cranberry beans from 2002. Three days later all 10 have sprouted, I'm impressed! I planted them today in their own individual pots and used the peroxide/distilled water to dampen the growing medium.

Today I started soaking 10 Prizewinner pole bean seed from 1996 which I thought I had lost (now there's hope), Sunset Giant marigold and Grandpa Ott's MG. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks you guys for all the information! I had never heard of this method before I ran across this post and so far it really looks promising.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Doncha love it?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Buttoneer, I'm amazed!

I tried germinating my Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry pole beans with tap water and got zero to germinate, on seed both from 1996 & 2002, 10 seeds each. I thought I had lost them, this strain has been in the family since the 1880's. I was sick!

As I only have a few seed left I was elated to get the kind of germination I've gotten so far.

I have the history of these beans posted on DG somewhere, I'll find it and hyperlink it to this thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.