Seed Starting

Sodus, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey Gardeners

I want to know about how close the plants need to be the flourescent lights. I started some seeds last year, but the plants were about 5 inches or more away from the lights ... had a quite success ... I been reading ... the seeds need to be closer. The problem is ... they get too warm, risking drying out too early. My ambient temperature varies daily (unheated room). I try to keep it in 60-70 area. I am right on schedule with the proper planting times, but I don't want to lose my plants due to no available water. How much should I water the young seedlings if I am using professional seed starting soiless medium?

Thanks

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

As a general rule, I say keep the lights 3-4 inches above your trays. Keep a lid over the flats until the seeds germinate then slowly remove it over a couple of days. If you keep your lights still 3-4 inches above the plants, they won't get leggy and as they grow the dirt will not dry out so fast. Remember also the top of the soil does not need to stay 'wet'. This is where problems begin. I usually just dump water into the tray beneath the cells packs/pots.

Sodus, NY(Zone 6a)

I read in an excellent book, its a seed saving, sowing book. It says to soak the pots for about an hour .... it does the job well. 0% damp off Yeah!!! I am about 3-4 inches off away the lights. I have many seedlings popping up very well. I was suprised about 4 o'clocks popping in less than a week. I did nothing to them ... just planted them .... bammo i got 3 or 4 already. I need to transplant them soon. I have started these seeds in the wrong type container (20 row) ... they look very healthy. Badseed, I gotta congradulate you ... you have been the most helpful person I met. Next time the chatroom opens up ... I'll be the first one to say hi.

Sodus, NY(Zone 6a)

Question:

what is the proper size container for bean like plants ... ie four o'clocks?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I planted 4 O'Clocks in 4h + 2x2w. They are doing great.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2004 2:08 AM

Sodus, NY(Zone 6a)

Can you explain the size to me Karrie?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I believe she is speaking of 4 inches high x 2 inches square

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.