Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Just opened up yesterday. So pretty.

Thumbnail by rylaff
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful! Great colors.

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

That's a real beauty. Do you know what variety? Jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh, what one is that? It's beautiful. I could handle a trumpet if it bloomed those colors. Very, very pretty.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Not a clue. If someone knows which one it is, I would love to know. This is one of those 3.48 cent bare root vines from Lowes. Just labeled Trumpet vine, I think. I got it last year. It did okay but did not bloom after I planted it last spring. Well, this year it is covered. I think it must by some type that doesnt grow too fast. I just think it is beautiful. Jennifer, I noticed the Lowes in Shalimar got them in again this year. They are near the outside register.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. Guess I need another rainy day so I can take a trip to the city and hope they have something in that I can use at Lowes.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is some type of crossvine, but I dont know which one.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Rylaff, you are right. It is Bignonia capreolata, also called Crossvine. Mine is blooming too!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

This is my second year with the vine also. I planted it last year, and it didn't do much. I can already see new growth starting on it now.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

I love the colors, and the hummingbirds like the flowers also!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I found them at East of Eden, but they are sold out and it is only hardy to zone 6, so that lets me out. Dang, it sure is pretty.

Shirley, Logee's has them too. Could you grow it in a container and bring it inside for the winter?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I think my indoor room is down to zero room left. I'll just have to do with MG's this year and think about this one for another time. I don't know how it would react to being pruned severly to bring inside. Could it be that pruning would remove the next year's blooms?

Shirley, I think if you trained it to wrap around a teepee type trellis, you could probably get quite a bit of vine on there and not have to cut very much off. From what I have observed, pruning just increases branching. But you may be right about this vine because it does get huge eventually and so does the root system. I finally had to plant it in the ground because I didn't have a big enough container to hold the roots.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

You got that at Lowe's that's just so great! Here is one called Tangerine Beauty it is like Clare's

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Man, that one is gorgeous, Monterey. I think Tangerine Beauty has more red in the flowers. Stunning!

I noticed that the shots I take at Carmel have a richer color in them. I think it has to do with the lighting. We had a little cold front come through it makes reds, blues, green, well really everything stand out. It isn't the same light as just overcast, it is something different, better.Like this, the center has a white-hot look!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2004 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm gonna have to visit this forum more often! Thank you all! I had no idea trumpet vine and crossvine came in such a huge variety of colors.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to give it a try. Got an email from a friend who is sending cuttings. Now, I just have to figure out how to root them. LOL!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Rylaff, that is the prettiest trumpet vine I've ever seen. I'm encouraged to hear you all say they start off slow, then take off. I planted a lavender trumpet vine last year that didn't do much. Maybe this year...

I had the same problem and gave up. Keep me posted I think they're so pretty. I noticed for a plant that should be evergreen, the leaves in winter look so ugly and dead. You are in my zone so any help would be great! Thanks. File shot! From Monrovia plants, wonderful wedsite.Yes! I would love to have that in my yard .Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Brugie, I am trying to root a cutting now in a jar of water. I accidentally broke off a piece so I'm trying to root it. I think I have heard that Crossvine roots easily.

Woodspirit, I think Crossvine, Bignonia capreolata, just comes in "Tangerine Beauty" and regular like mine; although, Rylaff looks like he may have new hybrid because the colors aren't the same as mine or Tangerine Beauty. There are some different Trumpet Vines, called Campsis radicans, which come in reds, oranges, lavenders, and yellows, but which also have a reputation for getting out of control quickly and spreading by runners. Crossvine is much more well-behaved and does not spread like Trumpet Vines do.

Plantfiend, my lavender trumpet vine started of very slow too. It looks like it is starting to put on a lot of growth this spring. Mine is a Bignonia violacea.

Monterey, your Ipmoea indica is beautiful. I had to rip mine out because it was too aggressive for me to keep on top of.

Here's my former Ipomoea indica:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Boy I am so jealous of your Floridians and Californians when it comes to some awesome vines. Such beauties you have posted. I would like to get ipomoea indica started up here. All the bignonias, my oh my how beautiful.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Monterey, things are looking promising so far this year. Although the vines were young, they did have flower buds last year, but they were slow to open and the frost got them. Then they did get pretty ragged looking, but lots of new growth now. I think they do much better once they are well established and a bit more mature.

Clare, I'm glad to hear yours is doing well, too. Hopefully we'll have some gorgeous flowers this year.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

How bout that!!! It makes seeds!

Thumbnail by rylaff

Cool! I've never seen seeds on mine!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Oh Lisa I would like a few seeds when they are ready. I have never seen one the color of yours.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sure!!

Waterville, KS

Wow ! You aure are a Trumpet hearty bunch!! I live in a zone 6A (Oshawa, Ontario) I think. ...... Garden faces north, clay soil, huge slope..........what are the chances I could grow those ? Anyone ??

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My tiny trumpet vine is just starting spring growth. It is supposed to be one of the golden ones, but i thought it had died over winter but see new growth coming, i just planted it last spring---for the hummingbirds. Donna

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I planted a trumper creeper two or three years ago (part sun) and it has never bloomed. It is growing and climbing all over in that area. I want to dig up a few pieces and plant in a full sun area, hoping that it will bloom. Do I need to clip it back before digging it up? Love Hummingbirds.
Thanks.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

bought a plant called "cape honeysuckle" thought that it was a vine, but because of the shape of the plant, it looks more like a shrub. Does anyone have any info on this?

AprilHillside, it just depends upon which one you want to grow. Some are definitely hardier than others. There is Campsis radicans, trumpet vine, and Bignonia capreolata, Crossvine, and Distictis buccinatoria, Blood Red Trumpet Vine, and Clytostoma Callistegioides, lavender trumpet vine, and a few others. Your local nursery will probably have the vines which are hardy in your area, but you can order some mail order if you want to bring it inside for the winter

Purplepetunia, Cape Honeysuckle, Tecomaria capensis, is not a vine. It is definitely a large shrub.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Absolutely gorgeous, Rylaff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.