ARE MOONFLOWER SEEDLINGS

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

always big wrinkly ugly things? They are germinating fast, but boy are they weird looking!

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes!! I poked a seed into another house plant and then forgot I did it. When it started to emerge, it looked like some kind of nasty bug coming out of the soil! It had a hard time shedding the seed casing so the seed leaves were deformed. I think that when I start some for outside, I'll first soak in water.

Eileen

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol! I nicked and soaked mine in water! I think the first leaves are just flat out ugly! we will see what they look like as the plant grows!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Ok - This is how they look.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Like miniature thick leaves of romaine or something. (don't eat them)

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

But just think how beautiful they'll look and smell this summer!

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Yep, Karrie...that's what they look like. Those are just the cotyledons that support their little lives until they grow their real leaves which allow them to manufacture their food via photosynthesis. Those "seed leaves" will eventually fall off. Many bean type seeds have big, wrinkley cots when they are "born". Hope that helps...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

yes, it helps! I am looking forward to seeing them turn into something beautiful. Like the frog turning into a prince sort of thing.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My cotyledons were so big and wrinkles that I didn't think they would make it out of the rapid rooters that I started them in. Boy, those things really work well. I can't wait to start my MG's in them. Have to tell you that I soaked and potted in soil, half of my Clitoria Ternatea seeds. One week later, I soaked the other half and put them in the rapid rooters. They are up and working on their first true leaves and the ones I put in the soil have not germinated yet. All of my Cardoon germinated and I put 5 moonflower vine seeds in and they were up in two days. They are kind of expensive, but for those special seeds, I'll pay the price.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Brugie: What are rapid rooters and where did you get them. Like I need to buy something else to do with flowers.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Deb, I got them from WormsWay. My first package came to me from my friend, Renee. After using them, I knew I was hooked, especially for special seeds.

http://www.wormsway.com/
RapidRooter plugs http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=RRP300

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Brugie: Thanks, for the link. Sounds good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.