light shade border...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

What can I use for a short, light-shade border to my flower beds? I've got one in particular in mind ...

Also, what would make a nice border for full-sun?

TIA,
-Jennifer

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I like ajuga and lamb's ears because they are there all year. I think they will work in sun or shade.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

And than there's Hosta, Coral Bells, Bleeding Hearts, Jacob's Ladder, Lamium,,,,some of my personal favorites. :-)

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

I love Mrs. moon and it has lovely foilage for several months. It flowers in spring.Check the database, leaves really look polkadot.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I picked up some jacob's ladder and lamium over the weekend, but the lamium ended up somewhere else in the yard, I think.

Jacob's ladder looks like neat plant!

Thanks all
Jennifer

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Don't forget columbines... they're always nice for shade.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Angelsong watch the lamium like a hawk....it loves to take over your yard....and come after your children and small animals. Very aggressive little bugger.

RikerBear

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I'll watch it... thanks riker ... I need warnings like this. :)

Don't want the plants chewing up my new puppy.... *giggle*

-Jennifer

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) No that would be tragic. The jacobs ladder is pretty cool, and has a nice bloom spike later in the summer... a nice lilac flower (no scent). Look for baby plants to pop up around the base of the mamma in early spring next year.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

yahoo! baby plants! :)

Since my gardens are less than a year old, and began as vast, empty, mulched beds, I'm even willing to plant a few rampant growers to fill in all the empty voids. :)

Thank yoU!
-Jennifer

Ps ... How does statice do for everybody else? I think this flower is so pretty in a cut arrangment, I figured I'd try it ... It's the purple variety.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Have never been able to get statice to grow for me....good luck with it.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

"I'm even willing to plant a few rampant growers to fill in all the empty voids. "

Be careful what you wish for! I felt the same way, planted some Artemesia limelight in one of my beds last year. That thing is trying to take over the whole bed- through the lamb's ears, daylillies, lobelia, salvia, and a rose- and is even growing in the lawn! I'm going to pot some up- I think it's pretty, but need to contain it- then I'm going to do some careful application of roundup.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Angelsong - I gres Jacob's Ladder from seed... very easy to germinate, & it is looking great its second year! Seems to withstand abuse, also. Bleeding Hearts get larger every year, which is nice. Mrs. Moon is beginning to pop up this Spring... very small leaves, with a huge bud in the center. I thought it had died!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

mrs moon? Who's she? :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.