Coleus

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

I was given some seeds that are suppose to be a mix of colors. I was wondering if they would do well as a container plant outside in partial shade. I have never grown them before and have no idea how they would do. If they are better out in the ground then I'll just pass them along to a friend who has the room. I just don't want to waste them since the person was nice enough to give me some.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Until just a few days ago, ALL my experience with coleus was in containers. I just planted some in the ground for the first time, but will still have several containers with them. One thing I found quite helpful last year was to add some of those water-absorbing "crystals" to the potting mix. It helped to keep the coleus hydrated properly, which can sometimes be a challenge with ANY plant grown in terra-cotta containers.

Thanks Maggie. It's good to know that I can try these guys in containers. How big a container did you use for yours?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Lots of people around here use coleus in containers. They're great in them!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I've grown them in small (6") to large (16") containers. They're more fun in something larger, because they make a bigger statement. You can pinch them back, or let them go, to suit any situation. I also like them in strawberry pots. I've never started them from seed, but since I've been playing around with seeds this winter, I may try. You've inspired me!

Well I don't know how well they will turn out. I think I've only grown a few things in my life from seed. Most of which had to do with school stuff for moms day. I just thought it would be fun to try and grow something from seed. Since they were free I guess I'll try a few and see how it goes. I don't want to use them all at once, especially if I don't get it right. I'd hate to waste them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.