Has anyone ever germinated Bomarea caldasii seeds?

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone.
I have some Bomarea caldasii seeds and was wondering if anyone might know how to get these seeds germinated. I haven't even tried it yet so if anyone with experience could offer any tips I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

BugFreak

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

this is the only info i can find http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/pbs/2002-October/011766.html
http://bulbsociety.com/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Bomarea/Bomareageneralinfo.html

no i have not grown it, which is why i did a search, hth

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

My Deno book says he had some success with GA-3. If not repeated cycles for 70º-40º are suggested.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I am growing Bomarea multiflora, raised from seed.I would have started them in seed raising mix, with fine gravel added, and covered the seed lightly with seed raising mix and fine gravel. Then put into tunnel house with a cover of plastic to keep moisture in and spring frosts out.
this was in 1998 and I am still waiting for flowers
I usually keep all seeds in fridge until planting time
pic of plant without flowers, and hoping it what I expect it to be

Thumbnail by bootandall

Thank you all for your input and links. 98!? Wow. I had no idea they were this slow. I think it will be worth the wait. Good luck Boot with yours and you must post a pic when it does bloom. Thanks again all.

bootandall,
I was wondering, you said you would have started them in a seed starting mix with fine gravel. Do you think the seed starting mixture with pearlite would be okay? This is what I'm considering using and just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I think the perlite will be fine My plant has had a shift as well, been in a pot for 6 months, and back in the ground for 8 months .
with reading the above links, I don't think I have watered it enought over summer, so thankyou for posting ,this threed might have my plant flowering yet.
keep posting as I would like to here how yours are going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.