Help with rooting Saucer Magnolia

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Hope someone can tell me how to root Saucer Magnolia.

Thanks

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I am eager to hear also. I put a bunch of neighbors cuttings under jars in the soil, outside. Some in pots of dirt/plastic bag over, some in clear jars of water, all under florescent lights inside. Had not one take out of about 25+ cuttings. This was last spring after her magnolia had bloomed. Maybe wrong time of year?

Hope someone can help.

Stoneham, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't have any Magnolias yet but I can remember my Grandpa air-layering his. I can recall that he used the new growth, left about two or three nodes, made a slit, sometimes stuck a sliver of wood in there to hold it open, packed around it with wet peat moss, tied up tight with a plastic bag and kept moist. Before long the bag was full of roots. Funny how you remember some things like yesterday :) I've found this method works on many hard-wood shrubs.

Hope this helps.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sveiks, but this is my neighbors tree and I can't very well go over there and airlayer a stem. This is probably why I have never been able to get cuttings to root, needs to be started on the tree.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Same thing here, it isn't my tree and hate to ask about air layering.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

You can always ask the neighbor,they may take it as a compliment...tell them if it works you'll give them one of the cuttings

I asked my neighbor and she said yes...just gotta find the time to get over there and do it....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.