Fruit tree blossoms

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I planted 2 year old apple, peach, plum trees last January. They say you should remove flowers the first year. Does that mean this year or last March?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

No one ever told me to remove the blossoms, so I never did. My apples never set fruit the first couple years after planting anyway. However my mom's did, and they were small and mealy. So if you did take off the blossoms again this year, you probably won't be missing out on a bumper crop or anything, and it will let the tree concentrate on growth.

Eileen

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lalady...were it me, I wouldn't mess w/em. Let 'em have at it!

Are they standard trees? Dwarfs? Semi-dwarfs? (Just curious.)
Your trees are now established and will do fine. My feeling is if you leave the flowers the local pollinators will establish their territory (and their homes) nearby, giving you good pollination in years to come. (Plus it sure would be a pain to go pick off all those flowers!)

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

They are all standard trees. Im training the apples (2) in an espalier along a fence. There are only a few varieties that will grow in Louisiana and Ive never grown any before. So this is all new to me. Thanks for info.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

cool! I've always wanted to try espalier, just never have.

Hope you'll take some pics as you go along. That's gonna be a fun project!

(Zone 4b)

I LOVE espalier! I started a plum espalier a few years back and really enjoyed the pruning and sculptural aspect. But I got over excited one time and snipped the top off which was dumb cause of course it started a new leader off to the side and it lost its beautiful lines... so DONT do that!! I plan on doing an extensive apple fence when I find some really cheap whips.
Greta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.