I'm SO excited...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This is my first year at trying to seriously start seeds. I collected from all you wonderful folks here on DG after I joined last June. Educated myself on on the techniques this fall, read up on each of my seeds this winter, bought my supplies and look!!!! I have a bumper crop of columbine! 68 seedlings! I've got 8 other flats going of various other plants, but these were my first babies!!!

Thumbnail by langbr
Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations, Mama!! You did good!! They are beautiful!
Got room for all of them in your garden?Ha!!
Bonnie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Bonnie--I'm gonna MAKE room!! Actually if they all survive to transplant time then I'll probably share some. I got more of the Mixed than I do of the Navy Blue. But I'm dying to see the Navy Blue. I got them from eclipse. Here's a link to the pic he posted of it last year.

http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=572454

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Congratulations lang!

There is absolutely nothing like those first little babies popping through the soil.
Obviously you have learned well they look great.

Good luck with all of them!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Langbr
I'm still amazed even after as long as I've been doing it.

Imagine those tiny seedlings producing many pounds of tomatos or huge watermelons or 7 foot corn stalks.

Cool eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Congratulations langbr! Just a warning: you have started something you will never be able to give up (LOL).

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

I love that Navy Blue. Actually I love all blue flowers!!
I agree with Ursula, there's no turning back!! You're hooked!!
Paulgrow said it best, seeds are amazing!!
Bonnie

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are beautiful seedlings! But,Ursala sure spoke the truth, when she said that you have started something that you will never be able to give up. We are moving this spring/summer, so I swore that I wasn't going to start any seeds this winter, but come Feb. I went into severe "green withdrawal". I had to start something, and since I was heating the shop anyway, I decided I better make good use of it. So now, I have just begun to transplant 6 flats of seedlings, and am trying to decice what to start next. And during this whole process, I have decided that I am definately taking my nice heavy duty light setup, even tho I have no where to set it up, in the new place......yep, Ursala sure is right!
Dee

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Langbr - Congratulations. It is also my first go at seed sowing on a large scale and I get such a buzz out of the seeds coming through. First thing I do when I get up, is look to see if any seeds have come through. The same thing before I go to bed! It has certainly got me through the depressing winter months.

Sue

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Boy you said it Sue!! I feel like a new mamma checking my baby every few minutes.....down to my basement to see what's poked it's head above soil, see if I need to turn the flats, if I need to thin anything out, a bit more water, do the grow lights need to be raised any? It's consuming. My DH thinks I've flipped.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome to the "Hubby thinks I've flipped" club....

I know the feeling!!

Congrats! They look great!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

That's ok...he can think I've flipped. Better than all them 'puter games he's always playing on the internet...fighting wars and such. 'Least I have something to show for my passion....he just get a won-loss record! tee-hee-hee!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I started seeding, using one of those styrofoam germinators with the felt strip that soaks up the water. They work GREAT!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Where'd you get it at Karrie?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Melissa- Gardener's Supply is where I get mine. 2 ea. of the 40-cell flats are $19. They are called APS systems (APS40 is 40 cells)

http://www.gardeners.com

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=15038&DeptPGID=18248&lstCategory=0&lstSort=&RecGroupNum=1

A friend of mine that owned a greenhouse gave me them, and I never knew where to find them since. I never re-used mine after that, because I haven't grown seed for awhile, and if you don't clean them right away, you may as well toss it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.