Anyone start Thunbergia seeds before?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I got some of the 'Blushing Susie' Thunbergia alata seeds and was wondering what is the typical amount of time for germination? I'm looking for real-world experience of starting these seeds. The books say 10-21 days, but wondering if typical experience is more specific. I'm really anxious about making sure these seeds germinate and succeed as as only have a few. Thanks!
Brenda

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi lang
I haven't started the blushing susie ones but the regular ones came up for me in about 12 days by just using seed starter, plastic bag over them, and putting them under flourescent lights.
I can imagine that you are really wanting them to grow I hope they do and that you get lots of seeds to share!
(okay if not lots enough for me at least) haha
Hope this helps

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Langbr, I have grown them and had pretty good luck. I soaked them over night and then put them in a 4 inch pot, covered with about a 1/2 inch of soil and kept them warm. I agree that it will take 10 to 12 days for germination, but look out.....after you transplant them into their own little pot they will take off. I've spent a lot of time in the greenhouse unwinding the twining vines from each other. I don't find that they germinate or grow any differently from any other of the thunbergias except that the seed hasn't been as viable as the other kinds. By the way, after they get started and have gained up to about 10 inches in height, you can take cuttings. More plants real quick. LOL!!! Have fun.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Brugie-thanks for the info. I guess I'll sit tight and be patient. I didn't soak mine so I hope that doesn't cause them to flop. I only got one packet of seeds and have sown 1/2 the packet (only 10 seeds to the packet). If I fail maybe I can find someone with some cuttings to share. I think poppysue was also getting some of these seeds in a post somewhere.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I started some Blushing Susie in foam cubes. It took about a week to see germination. I have about 10 out of 15 up now.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Right, just sit back and wait. I'm sure you will be okay, even without soaking. I just have a habit of soaking anything that has a hard seed coat. Wishing for you, beautiful vines this summer.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Brugie I can use the good wishes.

Poppysue -- when you say foam cubes do you mean the APS starters that Gardener Supply sells or something else? Just curious as that is what I settled on for my new seed starting hobby (the APS paks) and I LOVE them.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2004 11:36 PM

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

here are some that approx 3 weeks from sowing...this was taken earlier this week....i will take another, cuz they have grown since then....but the days are getting longer and they say that makes a big difference....cindy

ps...the ones in front are 4 o'clocks...the thundergia are in the rear....:)

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Brugie, if your planting them in hanging baskets just cut a slit in a paper plate and put it under the hanger for the hanging basket, keeps it from growing up. They will grow up to the paper plate then come back down. That's how I keep them in the greenhouse, they won't wind around anything but the hangers on the pot.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I grow them in the 2x4 inch press pots to give away and it doesn't take long to have a mess.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey cbrandenburg (nice tip) you wouldn't have any ideas on how to keep snapdragons from getting all tangled up would you, wish I could get my pictures on here (I am not computer friendly) they are really getting to be a mess, I thought about putting them in bigger pots they're in 6 packs now & 6" high but they aren't root bound or anything like that, so I hate to move them, they are coming out at the bottom of the plant with baby leaves and I pinched them and they are still getting taller and still falling:-?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey brommom! Nice invisible plants! lol :)

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Sorry Lebug, not sure what to do about snapdragons. I usually winter sow mine and don't have that problem with them because I plant them up at the 3rd leaf stage right into the garden. They do well with winter sowing. Something to keep in mind for next year.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I used oasis cubes. I had them on hand and finally put some to use. They're similar to rock wool cubes but made out of floral oasis.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks cbrandenburg, this is my first time growing these, got laid off and I'm obsessed with plants so this is how I'm filling my time, I always grow enough for the neighborhood in the summer, but it's quite different in the basement, if I didn't do this, it would drive me crazy not doing anything, and don't you just love seeing those little seedlings pop up :-)

I'm sure I'll be in the plant trade sometime this summer, can't wait :-)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

poppysue, I understand you start seed in the rock wool cubes,
are you saying you start the snapdragons in the floral oasis, or you put pieces in between them, I'm very interested in this propagation thing, never really tried it, thought I might learn something on this thread, thanks :-)
Le

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

No no... I started the thunbergia seeds in oasis cubes. I have started some other seeds on rock wool too. I was just saying the rock wool & oasis cubes are similar.

Here's a link to the oasis. They offer a couple of different sizes. Originally I bought them for cuttings but the ones I got were too small. They make great little seedling cubes.

http://homeharvest.com/seedstartingrootingmedium.htm

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

this is one of my black eyed susan vines..i started them on 2/7 and took this picture today....

cindy
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lacif_30/detail?.dir=/8087&.dnm=1f54.jpg

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Looks great. I'm starting some tomorrow.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I started mine on March 4, and yesterday I could see a little green in the holes of the bio-sponges. This afternoon they are coming up a little more.It's been 9 days since they were planted. I have them in bio-sponges and on a propagation mat. This is so exciting! I've been wanting to have some Black-Eyed-Susan vines since the first time I saw one.
This growing from seed thing,it is very habit forming.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Have mine soaking along with some Cardoon and a couple of other vines. Can't imagine what I'm going to do with everything I'm growing. I'm going to be trying the sponges too.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I finally got germination on mine! A few were up on Wed. but several more today!

Thumbnail by langbr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.