Advice for Datura seedlings please?

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

Received datura seeds from generous gardeners here,and both are sprouting now. One was referred to as Datura Tatula and one was just referred to as Dbl. Purple and White Datura. These seeds were pretty flat whereas some other daturas I have are more round and darker colored. My question is; now that they have sprouted and have 2 leaves, how big of a pot do they need now and when should I think about fertilizer? They are also about 2-3 inches tall...when I pot them up should I sink any of this stem farther in the dirt? They seem kind of leggy? Any help would be appreciated for this newbie!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I generally treat them as I would a pepper or tomato seedling until they hit the ground outside. Once outside, they don't require quite as much water as their veggie friends. I don't usually plant them any deeper. As with any seedling, you'll want to keep your lights just a few inches above them to keep them from stretching for the light. I have grown a ton of Datura and there mostly seems to be two different seed types. One is small and black, kind of kidney shaped and the other is tan, larger and still has a big of a kidney shape. I guess you could actually say both are round with a notch in the side where they were attached. The tan ones look like pepper seeds to me. This is just my personal way. I am sure others will be along. :)

they also do better in the ground but they can be grown in a pot they just don't get as big

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I grew Datura metel 'Ballerina Purple' last year in pots and found their root systems to be a little vigorous for containers. I think unless you are growing the dwarf ones from a catalog, or want to water them twice a day, they will be happier in the ground.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

What wonderful info. This is my first year with Dats too, and I was planning to keep some of the MANY seedlings I now have in pots. Maybe I'll rethink that a bit. :-)

RikerBear

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

if they are put in the ground will i have to pollinate them to get seeds that i can start for the next year or should i dig up the plant?...or take cuttings?..i just started some dbl purple daturas that have their fist set of leaves....any help is appreciated...cindy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So far as I know, Datura are self fertile. Mine always make seeds even when no others are in the vicinity. ;)

they get fairly large when put in the ground as llong as you get flowers you will never need to worry about having seed again one flower makes 20-30 seeds easy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.