African violets

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I received these seeds as a bonus, never tried african violets from seeds but what the heck. Can you see the tiny green specks? These were started Feb 17.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

oh neat- i was just reading somewhere about how to pollinate av's to get seed pods and it sounded like a good idea. so i bought one tonight and was trying to do it. so you'll have to keep me updated with how it goes, since hopefully i'll be trying soon from seed as well! :)

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Just had a cool Africn Violet experience. I have to read some more before I get too gullible, but it is a great story. I went to a spring home and garden show a few days ago, hoping to find av's, which is a new interest. First table in the hall- actually the first six tables, all attached, had bunches of av's! Actually, about the only thing worth going there for, but anyhow.... .............. After getting 7 or eight miniature and regular plants, I saw these double sized, gorgeous av monsters, with double, multi-colored, ruffled flowers, and extra-large leaves with long petioles and wavy margins. They call them "space violets"! Optimara, who make the most av plants in the world, sent 25,000 seeds into orbit around the earth for 6 years! Yes. They started a breeding program with those seeds, which reportedly produced these amazing, beautiful giant violet plants. I love mine, have already given away a leaf. Have any of you any exprience with these? I would send a photo, but I don't have the camera.

Peter

p.s. - here's a blurb from the internet about this program:
http://www.optimara.com/everfloris.html

This message was edited Mar 6, 2004 6:38 PM

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

wow that sounds crazy! straight out of a gardening sci fi novel. hehe. can you post some pictures of your new avs?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I went to the website to read about the "space violets". They are beautiful! But.....I stayed a little too long and ordered their 4 pack of minatures. I haven't been able to find any locally, so I was very excited! I am in awe of you all that are doing seeds and pollinating. I only have three violets (my first) and am looking forward to starting some leaves. I really LOVE these little plants!
Pati

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I've done A violets from leaf cuttings before, but never from seeds. The ones pictured above are continuing to grow and are at least double the size, I'll post an update photo soon. I would love to try some of the "space" ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.