I have a flower

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I started these seeds on 2/1/04 and I could not believe it when I walked out to the breezeway to turn on the lights this morning.
I have not ever grown these so I don't know if I should let it flower or not. If anyone knows I would sure appreciate help. It has about 6 other blooms on it and I sure don't want to loose it.
This is a monkey flower don't know the latin name.

Thumbnail by aknapp
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

sheesh, that was quick. I've never grown them, I'm rushing out to see if I can locate some seed..

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Congrats Alice! I think they'll flower sooner when they aren't pinched back. You done good. Monkey flowers aren't easy to start from seed. The seeds are so dang small!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks
I know what you mean I think I got 6 plants out of a whole package of seeds because of the size of them and not being able to spread them like I wanted to.
When I looked at the package it said that the plant should be 6 inches tall and this little guy is only about 2 inches tall.
I think maybe I will pinch them back because I would like them to get just a larger. But I will wait for a day or so to admire the little flowers.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Alice , why don't you let them grow a few inches more and then root the tips that you pinch out? Yep, I root everything!!!! I would love a rooted tip.
Are they annuals or will they become potted plants?

This message was edited Mar 4, 2004 1:36 AM

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Boy, that was fast. I'll have to check them out.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Elena
You think I know what I am growin? I just put stuff in the dirt and it lives or it doesn't!!!!hah
These are perennial for up to zone 6, so I may be able to push it to a zone 5 if I cover them well. I all ready pinched them back and I didn't know that I could root tips please tell me how to do that?
I think I have maybe 4 or 5 little plants in that pot and that is out of a package. I always figure if I get any more than two plants out of a package of seeds that I am still money ahead over what I would have to spend on a plant!
I just thought these were cute little flowers when I saw the package and I had never seen them around here in the spring, so thought I should give them a try.
I think that I got these on ebay but I am not even sure about that.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I will email you!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I know I'm adding on to an "old" thread...but Elena, I'd sure like to know how you root your annuals too. Yesterday, I bought a couple of coleus and decided to pinch them back. I also decided that I was going to try my luck at rooting the 'leftovers'...I have no idea whether I did it right or not. But, hey, it can only DIE, right? :-D

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Julie, Cut the cutting off just barely below a joint. I always put coleus in a glass of water and set it in a light but not sunny window. (I use a clear glass of jar so I can see what is happening but that isn't necessary.) It only takes a few days before you will start to see roots. Be sure to keep the water fresh. When you transplant them, be sure to not let them dry out during the transition period. Some things I root using other methods but easy things like coleus and mint don't need anything but water.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

For spreading small seeds in the future, try mixing them with a bit of sand. Nice flower

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I like that sand idea. I had read that somewhere in the past but never have done it.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

These have been the most incredible little flowers I have ever had the pleasure to grow.

I did pinch them back as suggested and I have had flowers constantly since the middle of March.

This is really a very hard working little plant.

I haven't tried rooting any yet, but still intend to. I kept thinking they would quit flowering and I would do it then, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I haven't been able to find any seed pods though and I am a little dissappointed in that, but I will keep watching.

I will have to remember to take a photo today so that you can see what they look like now. I have three different colors and I am just in love with this little plant.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Elena, thanks a million for replying! I guess 'intuition' didn't fail me with the coleus cuttings, at least I did the "cutting" part right. Now for the questions! :-D

How many leaves do you usually leave on the tip (or how large a cutting do you use?)

And because I'm impatient, where do I look for the roots to start? At the end of the stem or at the joint of the leaf nodes? (And don't tell me, "Under the water!" :-D :-D )

Right now, I have my cuttings in perlite and water in the bottom part of a 16oz soda bottle. I did it this way so I'd be able to see roots (if I got any) when they got to the sides and bottom of the 2 1/2-3" deep "cup." I just figured that I'd use a light potting soil (soil + perlite) when it was time to transplant from the water...does that sound like it might work?

I'm doing my propagation experiments in my garden shed so my husband thinks the building was worth his building effort. :-D

Thanks again for your help.
~julie~

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Howdy Julie,
I am no expert by any means. Some of the more learned plant growers might disagree and if so, they need to post here giving their ideas also.

Glad you got the cutting part right. That is the most important step. Without the cutting, you don't have much to work with.LOL! With a coleus you can leave several leaves and then you will have a nicer plant sooner. They are so easy to root that the leaves don't seem to take away any strength like with some cuttings.

"Under the water" is exactly what I would have told you if you hadn't beat me to the punch. You can go to regular potting soil when you have a decent amount of roots. tart getting the plant acclimated to the sunlight by putting it outside in the shade first and then gradually ease it to the sun. You are lucky to have a garden shed for your propagation. Your hubby was super building that for you. It keeps the house neater that way. I wind up putting most of my cuttings in my windows inside. Not the best decorating idea!!! Oh, well, I don't show off my house but I'd rather show off my garden.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Elena...now how did I know that you'd have *my* sense of humor? :-D

Yep, I got me a good'un for a DH and I think I'll keep him around for another 40 years (the first 40 have been a real *blast* ;-) )

As for keeping stuff in the windowsills...why do you think I *got* the shed to begin with? LOL

This is the first time in many years I've been able to concentrate on gardening/propagation...and it's the 'funnest' thing I done in ages. I'm really looking forward to getting to know the DG members...thanks for taking the time to talk to me.
~julie~

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

It's fun talking to you, Julie. I have been married to my long suffering partner for 51 years this coming August the 28th. He has tolerated a lot of buying plants, planting, digging, cutting down and starting all over in all those years but we still have plants in the window... It just seem to be the way it will always be. LOL

My sense of humor has carried me through lots of good times and lots of low times. If I couldn't laugh I don't know what I would do. Sometimes I guess it gets tiresome to folks but they don't have to listen or in this case, read.

Keep us posted and let us know how the rooting of the coleus project turns out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.