Sweetpeas

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

A couple of weeks ago I directly planted some seeds outside. Nothing has happened. Last week I soaked some more in a peroxide solution and placed some on a paper towel in a baggie and some in sponges. The majority have little roots on them now and I'm getting some little signs of green. This is the first time I've ever started anything from seeds indoors. What do I do next? When can I put them outside? It's about 60 or so here this weekend. (She said, jumping up and down.)

Pins, I hope these are annual sweet peas.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I just checked the package and they are. Why?

That's good. Perennial sweet peas are very invasive.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Pins, sweet peas don't like to have their roots disturbed, so, if they are not already in soil, I'd go ahead and plant them on site before they get much of a root system. We have a short season, so I start mine indoors in paper pots, then take them outdoors to plant when weather permits. I can just drop the bottom out of the paper pot or unwind them and let the roots dangle as I plant. Works pretty good.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

They have just about 1/4" of a root now. Should I just lay them on loosened up soil, or should I bury them a bit?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Bury them a bit, but make sure the soil is loosened up and well broken up so that you disturb the roots as little as possible. give the holes a good dose of water, but I wouldn't fertilize until they've begun developing their first true leaves. Seedlings live off their cotelydons at first. I'd bury them as deep as the package instructions suggest. This will also protect the delicate roots and shoots from the sun. If you want to protect the new plants, you can place inverted clear plastic cups or containers over the seedlings, making sure you've ventillated the cups with air holes first. It keeps the critters off and it protects them from wind burn. If it gets very warm, though, tip the cups a bit or take them off... you don't want poached sweet peas! LOL!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Weez! That's exactly the advice I need. I'm off to the garden center now. I"ll plant them when I get back.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Weez, does your pea experience extend to sugar snap peas and green beans?

Although I did plant a few snap peas in the ground, I ran out of fence (vine trellis substitute) with digable ground so decided to grow these veggies in gallon pots and place the pots by the fence. They have sprouted just fine and are growing but seem to have stalled just a bit. But then I'm looking at the stray peas that the squirrels transplanted in various places and none are doing any better or worse than others. They are about 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall now. Peas were planted 1/18/04 and beans a week later. I'm new at this. How do ya think I'm doing?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's the beans

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sometimes my peas seem to stall out after I set them out, but I figure it is the drop in soil temp here. They get an early start in warm soil indoors, then I set them out and they get a little disillusioned!. However, they adjust and begin growing again. Of course, your soil probably isn't cool, but they look pretty darned good to me!

As for the beans, it's not my forte. I used to raise beans back in Indiana, but that was almost 40 years ago, so memory fails me! LOL! Actually, I've tried beans in the greenhouse, but I'm never very successful. You might consider that these plants may be putting their energy into developing their roots right now, and I don't think that's a bad idea, personally. Check your maturity dates on the packages and see what they have to say. It will give you a better idea of what to expect.

By the way, garden peas do well in our climate. I grow Super Sugar Snaps and Super Sugar Lace... the Lace are more of a bush type. We eat our peas right off the vine... they are so sweet!

Thanks Weez, I'm very encouraged.

:^)

Molly

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Weez, where's the best place to get the sugar snaps? Do you think there's still time to order them and get them in before the hot weather hits? I know it seems silly, but some years we seem to have a very tiny space of spring weather. Sort of takes a 100 mph right into summer. :-(

Pins, I see you have some Toad Lily seeds on your trade list. I have a great package of Sugar Ann Peas that need some attention. (Sugar Ann are Sugar Snap with no string) LMK

Molly

Sorry Pins, the Sugar Anns will produce in 56 days. I think you have time. E mail me

Molly

This message was edited Feb 28, 2004 8:54 PM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Okay, Molly, I'm confused. First, let me say that I do have the toad lily seeds still. You started the second post with a "Sorry". Do ya think the Sugar Anns will or won't have time to prosper here? LMK your address off list and we'll trade.

No Pins, I said I was sorry cause I missed that part of the question the first time. I think you have plenty of time to grow the Sugar Anns. I'd love to have some Toad Lily, I saw a picture somewhere else here. Sending you an email.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I started some annyual sweet peas in a flat (no pots) a few days ago. Would you think that I should put them in plantable pots right after they emerge, when roots are small, or wait to scoop them out when they have several true leaves? I am leaning toward the first option........

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

pdkrones. If you have them planted far apart and in a soft, loose planting medium, you might be able to wait until they develop, but if not, the roots may become entangled or it will be difficult to extricate the plants without damaging the root system. I've used plastic cups with holes drilled in the bottoms for drainage when planting peas indoors. They are deep enough to allow the roots to grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.