Gigantic Lemons

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Today, we took a tour of the garden, which hasn't been touched since last spring. It looks like the aftermath in a war zone -- really pitiful.

I noticed about a dozen large fruits lying on the ground around my little Myer Improved lemon tree and exclaimed, "Gee, look at the size of those lemons!" My DH said, "No WAY -- those are Naval oranges." He went to pick them up, but they were still attached to the branches, which had bowed to the ground under the weight of the fruit.

They looked like oranges. They smelled like oranges. I was confused, because I knew I hadn't planted a Naval orange in the yard.

We kept some and gave some to the neighbors. He peeled one and gave me the first slice -- yuk! It WAS a lemon! DH ran back to the neighbors to tell them not to try to eat the "oranges" he had brought over.

Now if I had babied that little lemon tree I probably wouldn't have gotten doodly-squat. But I left it alone and it gave me a bunch of huge lemons. I caught on to the lesson here -- I should keep my "black thumb" out of the garden :))

Here's a picture of the one little "Louisiana Sweet" orange that was on the tree I planted this past spring, and three of the Meyer Improved lemons. I'm happy! I finally got something to grow!

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

They do get very large. I did not realize how large they could get until I saw some Monrovia Nursery Meyers at Pike's Nusery that had ripen fruit attached. They were huge. I have Improved Meyers in pots that never had fruit that large.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've never seen lemons such an orange colour before, that's amazing. and they're huge!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.