Ever hear of a Honeysuckle tree?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

My grandmother had one in WV and she loved this tree, at least thats what she called it. Its been many many years but I remember orange, grew more tall than out and I would assume slow growing. Im having my mom send me some pics that show this tree but Im pretty sure they will be in black and white, but hopefully someone can identify this so I can try and get one. I try to put in favorite colors and/or plants in my gardens for those I loved that are gone. If I can find this I would be doing a great big happy dance.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Might this be it?

Halleria lucida
http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hallerialucida.htm

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Im not sure riker, I will double check on this, the tree was in West Virginia around Elkins so temps get pretty low.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well I hope you are successful in your search :-)

RikerBear

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi I have a honeysuckle shrub in the yard (that is what it has been called here on this farm for 100 years at least) but it only gets 5-6 ft high and has blue berries in the fall that last all winter. I also have one in my yard in PA (we are only a mile from the WV boeder that has silvery leaves and yellow small blooms in spring and reddish pink berries in the fall and about 6-8 ft high and also is called a honeysuckle bush. I have seeds to both if you want them SHirley

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

There is a bush honeysuckle Diervilla sessilifolia that gets to be 5 to 6 ft tall. But it itsn't reported to get tree height.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Did it have a cluster of orangeish red berries that just seemed to "glow" during a beautiful day? And were they perhaps fist sized clusters, all over the tree, and when you say tree, can you tell us roughly the height it was that you recall?
thanks - got my thinkin cap on!!
Laurrie

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone!! Laurrie you sound like you might know what my brain is trying to remember. The tree when I last saw it was probably about 10-15 feet tall. I remember orangey berries.
I hope mom can get those pics to me soon cuz Im sure that would really help. I looked thru different searches from the info rikerbear posted hoping that would lead me to what I was searching for but I didnt see anything that sparked a memory at all. sigh

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Not for sure, but here are a couple of links of the Mountain Ash - could this be the one? I have fond memories of a tree just as you described and it was a Mountain Ash, None of these links seem to show the true beauty of the tree, but you can check them out and see what6 you think.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_41.html

http://www.beyondmainst.com/Plants/Trees/decid/American_Mountain_Ash.htm

Laurrie

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, Mom got over here last night with the only color pic of this tree. Its in full bloom here. i realized how old I was when I saw the date on the photo and then started crying because I miss those times and my grandparents and the house. Sigh, ok trip down memory lane is over. I hope this helps. And mom got a free dinner for her trouble, I made her stay to eat. LOL I noticed I didnt have to twist her arm very hard. LOL

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I give up :-) I have no clue. Beautiful tree/shrub though.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

"sigh" Im not giving up yet. If I have to I guess Ill go and see if I can sneak some cuttings but thats a 5 hour trip one way. LOL
Also, as far as mom remembers this tree/shrub does not have berries.
Thanks for trying rikerbear.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

that is a beauty, not at all the mountain ash I had in mind, will do some digging now that I have seen it!
never give up!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Well it sure looks like my sisters forsythia which is about 18 feet high right now!
Editing again to add link to some photos, will have to take pic of sisters, it is much taller and more tree looking like yours is than shrubby looking pics I have found on the net.

http://images.google.com/images?q=forsythia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

This message was edited Mar 1, 2004 10:52 PM

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

only if forsythia practicaly gets truncks I would think, and the flowers on that are really that orange. even mom remembers it being orange like that, thats one of the reasons Grandma loved it so much.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Your Grandma has a keeper that is for sure!! Just beautiful!

Mys sisters forsythia does get sortof like a trunk, but it is old, and none of my starts I have gotten look quite like hers, it is near the top of her house, but I don't think it is anywhere near quite that orangey in color. no, I don't think forsythia is your shrub/tree either!! That color is just beautiful!! Keep us updated if you do find out.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jumping in late here... my local friend just bought 2 "honeysuckle bushes"... I saw them this weekend but they are bare with burlap around the roots.

I'll try to remember to watch and photograph them over the summer. Naturally, he has no tags on them.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

How about this...does it look like this? (2 photos)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Numebr 2 (same plant, closer)

These grow like weeds around here and they are tough as nails. It really is like a shrub version of honeysuckle. Not really a tree...only gets about 15 feet tall and very bushy.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2004 9:08 PM

Thumbnail by hczone6
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, I know that in my woods, we have wild native azaleas, and do grow into trees and do get very tall. Country folk have always called these wild honeysuckle trees. There are many types and I have seen the shocking orange, yellows, white, red and pinks.

In the wild, they are more sparse, but never get fertilized, or pruned! And many smell wonderful :)

Is this it? http://www.newfs.org/inbloom1/flowerpages/flame_azalea.html

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

violabird I think that might be it. I never thought of this as an azalea because it was so tall. Im going to email that link to my mom too so she can see it.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

violabird!! I think this is it now. I sent the link to mom and she said that is what the flowers look like. Now to do some more researching and searching. I will find this tree/shrub. I will....might take me a while. LOL
Thank you so much!!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

You're welcome :)
You might want to check with these folks, they carry a lot of native plants. I'd email them for color variety.
http://www.sunlightgardens.com/item.html?mgiToken=GFFJF8027I4JC910&id=1311

Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

I bought two R. calendulaceum from Shooting Star Nursery but they were only about an inch tall at $7 each + shipping. I saw later that a local nursery had them in stock in a good size (David Brothers Bean Road Nursery in Worcester, PA - they don't do mail order). They are not extremely rare and have been used in hybridizing. I suggest you try local nurseries specializing in Azaleas or native plants, you can let your fingers do the walking.

Tilton, NH(Zone 4a)

HCzone6, what you have is a Tartarian Honeysuckle. We have them all over the place up here, including a huge one next to the house that is as tall as our two-story cape. They get bright red berries in the fall that the birds love, we always get a flock of waxwings in the big one by the house. Also, in the spring the bees love the flowers (this is a good thing for us, as my Dad is a beekeeper)

Hope that helps a little,
Cedar

Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a tartarian honeysuckle, pink and yellow white flowered, and neither of them get yellow foliage in the fall. They do get the plump red berries with little black seeds in the center. Its not scented either.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys, believe it or not all that orange are flowers not leaves. Ive located one cloes to home that I can pick up at a local nursery.
Again thank you so much everyone, without your help I would still be searching and wondering how to get my grubby little hands on one. LOL

Leakesville, MS(Zone 8b)

Dravencat, what you have is a native azalea (wild azalea) and they do come in different colors. There is a Nursery in Semmes, Ala (Dodds) that has done some propragation work with this plant and do sell them (expensive). Most people around here also call it a honeysuckle tree.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2004 8:01 AM

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you enalter, sorry it took so long but I didnt think there were any more hits on this thread.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I think I found it!!!!!!! Its called an azelea exbury Gibraltar. Here are some pics

The flower(came off) and a new one getting ready to open.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

pic of the leaves

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

A piece of the trunk, sorry its not clearer but I was in a hurry to post

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

wow that is lovely, thanks for sharing those photos with us, I had wondered if you ever found what it was.
It's gorgeous!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Breezy, Im still waiting for my mom to get back from her trip to give it the once over herself, she and Uncle Joe were driving around in WV the other day and wrecked the car, scarey to say the least, now Im not sure exactly when shes coming back, she said her car is undriveable and shes thinking of renting a car to come back in. I told her I would come get her right then and there, whats a four hour drive when I can know they are ok. So shes going to miss the last flower on the tree itself, glad i took the pics.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh my heavens, I hope they are ok!!! That is scarry. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, it's a good thing for the photos, and hopefully her "once over" says it's the right one, but either way it's a gorgeous one!

Let us know when she arrives and that all is well :)
~Laurrie

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Laurrie, I talked to mom again yesterday, shes staying with her sister in Parsons but she was going thru Elkins to go visit her brother, Uncle Joe was driving while mom was resting in the passenger seat. Along the mountain roads they have ditches for the water runoff and Uncle Joe went over the edge of the road just enough to hit one wich would have been ok except there was a big clod of asphalt there that he didnt see along with the hole that the clod came from and they hit the side of the mountain, they did NOT go over the mountain but hit it. Uncle Tom(brother) said he thinks the frame might be bent and its not driveable. Im curious as to who is gonna fix this, small towns surroundthem where they are and I dont know if anyone there has the ability to straighten out a frame there or if its savable. Mom is hoping they total it because she has it on a lease and wants to get out of it, LOL. She has another car so to loose this one wont hurt her feelings a bit. They are a bit sore but doing fine. I told her if she needs me to come get her just say the word and Im there. I havnt been "home" in way too long.

OOOO I just thought of this, I think Aunt Phylis has email, Im going to send the pics to her so they can look them over real quick.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.