2nd grader gardening

Hanover Park, IL(Zone 5a)

I 'volunteered' to do a project for 19 2nd graders. I said I'd grow something for them to give their mothers.....I have 5 weeks in zone 5a. Any ideas? I am thinking an interesting grass...let them paint the pots....they want 'instant gratification' or something they can plant in the garden and watch grow.
Help??

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Castor beans? They germinate quickly and grow really FAST! Another one would be morning glory. It also germinates and grow fast.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I think the grass idea is a good one. I've got annual rye grass growing in pots (will get a pic tomorrow). It only took about two weeks to 'mature'.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I thought 'everyone' gets to grow fat bushy lil' Marigolds in paper cups for kindegarten..fast ,cheap and almost fool-proof.I can still picture in my mind presenting my Mommy with a flower =)
Happy memories,
Shirley

This message was edited Feb 26, 2004 10:34 PM

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Uh...guess castor bean isn't a good idea since they are poisonous. That was a very "blond" moment, duh...........

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

what about cleome's or cosmos?

Hanover Park, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, I think I'll have them paint pots....I get to watch more stuff grow. I'll talk to the teacher and do a planting day, the marigolds sound interesting (never tried that. I killed all my marigolds last year), I have some cosmos seed and lots of grasses. thanks for the suggestions. Never realized how popular 'plant ladies' can be! (BTW, my daughter is in 5th grade. At her age, as cool as she is now, the last thing she wants is mom in the classroom. I look forward to working with the little ones.)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Grass seed in pots with a face painted on them - definitely cute, easy, and fast. If you can find "cat grass" seed, it's a trendy thing right now, and if any of the students have housecats, they'll love it ;o)

I've had Torenia ready to bloom in 6-8 weeks, but I don't know of anything that could be propagated indoors and ready to bloom in under 6 weeks...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Marigolds are easy for little ones to grow - and make nice Mother's Day gifts. You can do them in little styrofoam cups.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

It's looking a bit raggy now... been indoors for 'bout two weeks and the cat has been nibbling at it. But you get the idea - and I like the suggestion of having the kids paint faces on the pots.
8^)

Thumbnail by dogbane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.