Growing with Earthbox

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I just ordered 2 Earthboxes, thank you so much for all your comments, I am always very careful before ordering something that looks promising. Anyways I just bought 2 tomato plants 1 better boy and one juliet tomato plant. Also I started some Sugar Snap peas from seeds. I have a very small backyard so I think that I really could not fit any more boxes. I can't wait to start my new plants, I have always had the worst luck planting tomatoes or other vegetables. One question though, I also bought some tomato and vegetable granular plant food. numbers are 12-10-5 at Lowes today, is this a good one or do I need to buy any other granular food?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

carminator1 --- Congratulations ! You will really enjoy your EBs. Just follow directions for the set-up. Lowes has dolomite lime and Jungle Growth potting mix. Get the 2 cu.ft. bag. Be sure to get the one with the least amount of added fertilizer. Don't buy the one with the moisture control granules. You don't need it. You will use two cups of dolomite lime by mixing into the soil. Your plant food is fine.
I have a question about snap peas. Don't they prefer cool weather ? Our summer is just around the corner and they don't do well in heat ?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant. I think you are right, I guess I was not careful reading the instructions of the seed package. I'll have to think on something else to plant. Any sugestions?

Peppers do well in the heat and EBs but don't plant six as shown in their ad. Plant three only and set in the same way as tomatos. Fertilizer on one side and plants far away on the opposite side. You can plant most anything in them depending on the season....

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I decided to plant peppers and cucumbers, I was wondering if 2 peppers and 2 cucumber plants would be to much for an earthbox to handle?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I want to order a couple of Earthboxes for my sister who lives in an old neighborhood where lead in the soil is a problem (in Texas); she'd love to have some home-grown things, so I figure this might be a good solution. Is it worth it to order the boxes without all the fertilizer/potting soil/lime? I mean, have folks had equally good results with the Jungle Growth mix and recommended fertilizer and a little dolomitic lime? If it's really the same, I'll get her the plain boxes. But if there's a big diff, I'll get a single "Complete." Also, is the mulch cover included in the basic (not "complete") box? Thanks to anyone who can help...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Oops, cancel that. Just found my answer on the Earthbox thread in the Container Gardening forum!

Got a late start today.
carminator1 -- Plant the peppers at the end of the box and the cukes in the center. I would plant only one cucumber as they take up a lot of room unless you train them on a trellis so they climb ? Sounds like fun...

Zeppy -- They would be perfect for her ! Very kind and considerate of you. You or she can buy the fertilizer, potting soil and dolomite lime at the locol nursery or order a complete set. Lowes or Home Depot has the products she'll need but tell her not to purchase the soil with moisture control or with excess fertilizer in it. The covers are included no matter how you choose to purchase. They include two covers with each order.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

TPlant- I think I asked you something on a nother thread, but I don't know where. This forum thing is way too new to me. I want to buy Earth Boxes. Is it cheaper to buy my own soil mix and dolomite lime at Home Depot or just buy the complete kit from the company. My husband is not really excited about the expense. I need to try to be frugal!!

It is cheaper to buy just the box and buy the soil, fertilizer and lime from Lowes or Home Depot. I prefer Lowes because they have Jungle Growth potting soil @ $6.00 for 2 cu.ft., 10-10-10 ferilizer @ $6.00 and dolomite lime @ $3.00 for 50 lb. The total cost will be less than shown as I just rounded out the numbers. You will save more than $15.00 by purchasing seperately. This way you don't pay shipping costs. If you have questions on set-up, we are all here to help a fellow EB'r. Good Luck !

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

T Plant Thank you so much for the info on the peppers and cucumbers I think I'll just go with 3 plants total as per your recommendation. I am not sure why Earthbox tells you you can plant so many. I'll let you know when I get the Earthbox and will hopefully take pictures of my success.

Zeppy: I know exactly about the soil problems in Texas, I used to live in Corpus Christi Texas, decided to plant some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers and at first, all of them started to grow wonderfully but absolutely no produce at all, I am not sure whether it was a soil condition problem or what, they all ended up in the trash but I have read so many good reviews about the earthbox that I am sure she'll do fine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Has anyone tried building one for yourself?

Here is a link with instructions for one made with 5 gal. buckets! I am going to try these this year. And the cost.... $11!

http://www.dougs.org/doug/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4#14

Does anyone else have experience with this?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Tx Mel:
Let me know how it goes with your box, I keep seeing people talking about this home built ones but I have not seen the results. If this turns out to be a good box to grow tomatoes or any other plants I will definetely build my own also.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have just received my brand new Earth Boxes. I know I'll be putting tomatoes in one box. I am just having the hardest time deciding what to plant in the others. There are SO many possibilities. :) Does anyone have any experience growing climbing lima beans or climbing black-eyed peas?

I grew stringbeans and they did very well. I bought a plastic rose trellis from Lowes. You can grow most anything in an earthbox just like you would in the ground. Just use supports as you would do anyway. Peppers did well also.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

After reading the good reviews on EB...I ordered my 3 boxes on Sun. Then on Mon. ordered one for my sister for a birthday gift. She had been looking at them and couldn't afford one, so I know that she will be surprised and pleased!
My sister is in NC and I was told hers should arrive in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks....here in CA the delivery is to be 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.
Have you found the delivery to be pretty on time in what they tell you???
It will give me time to get seeds started!
Margie

I live in Fl. but they are shipped from Pa. and I have always recieved mine in 10 days.. .That was very nice of you to do that for your sister. If you need any help with set-up just ask us ! We fellow EB'rs are always anxious to help. Did you order the complete kit which includes soil, etc. or just the box in which you may need some advice on type of potting soil, dolomite lime and fertilizer ?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Tplant...I ordered just the boxes....and yes, I would like to get the soil and lime and fertilizer all ready and beable to tell my sister what to get before it arrives! Any help you could give me I would really appreciate...also about placement...full sun vs. sun just for some part of the day!
Thank you very much.
Margie

Happy to help you. Because you live in zone 9(warm climate)be sure to leave your cover white side up. Your EBs hold 2 cu.ft. of potting soil or container mix as it is called and they do come in the same size bags. Do not buy bags of top soil ! Try to purchase the ones without fertilizer which may be hard to find but if not buy the one with the least amount. I use "Jungle Growth" but you can use Pro-Mix from Wal-Mart, Miracle Gro without moisture control granules(VERY IMPORTANT)and any brand name that contains little or no fertilizer. If you plan to grow tomatos you will need two cups of dolomite lime mixed into your soil.(FOR TOMATOS ONLY OR NO LIME IF GROWING ANYTHING ELSE) Lowes has the lime in a 5 lb. box and a 40 lb. bag both under $3.00. For fertilizer I use 10-10-10 but you can use any number as long as all three numbers are under 15-15-15. It is always best to set in full sun with good air circulation. You will recieve complete instructions when your EBs arrive. Hope this helps for now. Contact us when you are ready for set-up ?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Tp...I have my list of things to buy and have ready...now just the wait !

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I forgot to ask....about the fertilizer...is it a granular fertilizer? Time released, like osmocote or not time released?

Not time released ! Just standard 10-10-10...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.