share your shade garden pics

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

I'll start, lets play!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

This is my front yard shaded by two huge maple trees.

Thumbnail by btailoring
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Here's my front yard. Under 2 Oak trees and still a work in progress. My hostas have some growing to do.

Anahi, I love your hostas. So well filled out.

BT, your garden is lovely.

:^)
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful pictures! The hosta in this picture is called sunspot. Still a baby, but coming along.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

These are some of my ferns and Japonica.
Cindy

Thumbnail by weeding

Fatsia Japonica

Thumbnail by weeding

Helleborus

Thumbnail by weeding

Brugmansia alley is in the shady part of the garden.

Thumbnail by weeding

More Brugs in the shade.

Thumbnail by weeding
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a long narrow stretch between our house (on the right) and the neighbors' house. It was full of ugly overgrown shrubs, thorny blackberries and weedy nandina. Horrible adobe clay soil sliding down the hill, creating a drainage problem as well as a slippery danger when wet.

Everything was cleared out, a French drain was installed, and our neighbors kindly let us use their sidewalk so I could have a bigger planting area. Altho it isn't visible at the end of the concrete, there are nice concrete blocks at a right-angle, installed by my husband to connect our backyard paths to their sidewalk, so we have a good dry path to walk on.

I am constantly adjusting the plant mix in my beds as they mature, but this is what it looked like one year after planting. The white arbors are for my neighbor's grapevine which was in leaf on the left hand side.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Very lovely jkom. It is nice when neighbors not only like and approve what you do, but help make it easier to do your projects.

LimeyLisa Kay

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Very well put together! I like it.

Bev

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Pansies in the shade.

Thumbnail by Doris
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

This is the front edge of my shade garden-the mossy area.

Thumbnail by Doris
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Ahhhhh Doris, you look like you're living my dream....to be nestled back into the woods...some day, some day (sigh!) Very nice!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Ah Doris. I am ready to plant some pansies too and hope to find some when I'm in town today. There are 2 planters on either side of the porch, at the top of stairs, where I work (office in a cemetery) and I am going to plant them too. Later, probably with impatiens.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2004 8:51 AM

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Since I have no "place in the sun" to garden, I am trying to make the best of the wooded area that I have. It has disadvantages- but lots of advantages too. Today, I'm waiting for it to warm up enough to get out there again and move some more of the "tons' of leaves that are covering everything. But, being able to work in the shade in the hot & humid N. Alabama summer is definitely an advantage for this gray haired lady! There are sprinkles of daffodil blooms now and the hosta will soon to start peeking through. The evergreen ferns have been wonderful this winter. I'm planning to add more this year!
My shade garden is definitely a bright spot for me-relaxation/exercise and therapy! Keep those pictures coming. I love to see what you all are doing! Doris

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I just stumbled across this forum..

Your photos look like they should be in gardening magazines.

This is a photo of Brise D'Anjou Jacob's ladder. It is in with my hosta's under the apple trees.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Now I must put that on my hunt list!

Doris, I did buy some pansies Saturday and have put them in 2 different places. One is somewhat sunny but the other is in shade a lot of the time. I'm beginning to wonder just how much shade pansies can take and this will be a good experiment........

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

I still want some more, too. They will last on until it gets hot here. I really love the color.

It's a little cooler here and I can get mine to last into June. I planted two groupings and one pot over the weekend.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2004 8:00 PM

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

shade bed, spring 2003.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

BEAUTIFUL!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have a balcony garden that's largely in the shade, some morning and late afternoon sun. This is from late July 2003.

It's so heartening to see shade gardens. That's all I have!

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus

And here's my Sweet Autumn clematis in September 2003.

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

revclaus....love your balcony garden! What is the name of the hosta?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

blue cadet and another mini-hosta which slips my mind. summer 2003

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

old 'standards' that i got from swaps years ago - if anyone knows their real names, please let me know

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

last spring - hostas, astilbe, foxglove, a newly finished lasagna bed which was filled by fall; ferns [which were dug up in fall to start a new lasagna bed]

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful! how do you make a lasagna bed? Is that a layering process?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

yes - that's the layering process. the 'finished' bed that you see started with a few layers of newspaper, then weeds, then leaves, then compost, then topsoil [from another bed], then mulch. the new bed that i've started [in place of the ferns] begins with the leaves collected from last fall. i'll rake them out to the half the height of my new bed - i'm planning to add compost [after it thaws and dries out] - then we'll see.......

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

how long does it take to be able to plant in the new bed? do you wait for it to decompose?

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

revclaus & handhelpers,
Your plants are absolutely wonderful! Since I only have shade, I especially love to see what others do with theirs. Hurray for the balcony garden! We just must make the best use the space we have, don't we!
Doris

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i planted right away in the first bed cuz the compost and topsoil were old - i'll probably do the same in the new one once it's done - the top layer will be about 4-6 inches so that shouldn't hurt my plants
in shade - my favorite is hosta - but astible, primrose, hellebore, foxglove do well - i cant wait till stuff starts blooming this year - cuz this year and next will be the 'test'

Anahi, my hosta is just plain ol' albo marginata. This year will be its 5th year in that container.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

It's a beauty! 5 Years! do you ever have to divide it?

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Caladium Rosebuds in the sweltering Texas heat in July 2003.

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Hostas are just starting to come up good.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh that's pretty..you are ahead of me..here they are just starting to poke through the ground.
The daffs are in bloom..and the tulips are about to bloom...
Here are some pansies and primrose to brighten up my front step.

Thumbnail by Starzz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.