FEELING NAIVE HERE, BUT NEED TO KNOW!!! (hee hee)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have seen many posts on this site about "cross breeding" seeds. I really do not understand this. I have seen posts where people have soaked two different types of seeds together (i.e. daylilies). So when you soak them together you get a "cross" between the two, hopefully?????? I am completely new to this and would LOVE some input from some of you that know what this is all about and how! :)

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

perhaps 'cross-pollination' would be a better phrase? Same as with any 'breeding' or hybridizing, pollen from a doner plant is placed on the host plant and if successful will produce seed with some of the attributes of each plant. Bees do it all the time.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I guess I don't understand how this happens by soaking two different types of daylilies (or brugs, or whatever) in water. Does it make ALL of those seeds different if soaked together?

Like: If I soaked a white daylily seed with a red, would I probably get "pink" flowers?????

I'd really like to get a orangish red hawaiian looking one, and I have the seeds to do this, if that is possible. :)

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

By soaking them together... not possible. If you take pollen from a yellow daylily to a red one and it would make seeds and you would grow them, you could get orange flowered lilies, but it is a long and hard process so you'd better just get yourself a ready plant ;)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I guess that is why I have absolutely no idea why these people have mixed their seeds in water! How can they even tell which is which and where to plant? Maybe I'm just a label fanatic!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

You don't mix seeds! You take the pollen from a bloom and rub pollen on anthers of another bloom. This makes seeds then you have something to grow a plant.

Have you never heard of "the birds and the bees"???

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

the seeds have already been crossed before they are soaked.
the soaking is just to get them to sprout faster!

Hey you dont know if you dont ask! :)
Im going to dabble in pollinating some flowers this yr-mainly daylily and iris's

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes... Charles Grimaldi x Ecuador Pink is still only one seed. The seeds are the children of both parents. CG would be the mom (Pod parent) ... EP would be the Dad (Pollen doner)....

The children will have genes from both parents.

With the daylilies I sent.... The mom plant is known - but the pollen doners could be a number of different Dads (pollen doners). Siloam Plum Tree x Mixed = SPT as the Mom.... and there is prolly several different Dads in the pack. The seeds will not turn out like SPT. They might be similar but it will depend on who the dad was for each seed ... the babies might look totally different.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2004 9:19 PM

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Maybe this will help...

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't realize that the pod plant was listed first. I guess it should have been obvious because of reading that I've done. I breed horses, and the stallion is always listed first so I was working off that logic.

LimeyLisa Kay

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

When I threw all my daylily seeds in the same jar from poppysue, I knew they were a number of seed crosses, being together in water wont change that. I do have a number of named crosses from another member and I have those seperated in jars with the names of the parents on the jars so I know whos who.

Kaufmann that was a great pic I printed it for my personal how to notebook. Thanks for posting it.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2004 10:41 AM

DC: glad to be of help! Wish I could take credit for the drawing, but alas, I can not! Have a great day!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Boy do I feel silly now! But at least now I know, lol!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I love that I learn something new here everyday.
Kaufmann I did see the credit, she did a great job but still need to thank you for showing us.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I also am growing some of these out. This one was potted-up Dec 8, 03.

Thumbnail by LindaSC

L: That looks awesome! Can't wait til mine look like that!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm glad that I asked, regardless if it made me look silly! I was so baffled in the daylily forum by these people soaking different types of seeds together! I soak mine separately and mark them so I know which is which! Yes, I have heard of the birds and the bees, and that is why this soaking 2 different types of seeds together made no sense to me!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Karrie, soaking any seeds together will Not influence either one genetically speaking. Maybe this will help.............

Named Crosses aka purposely pollinated by the hybridizer from 2 named Daylilys
Japanese Butterfly [pod parent] ...aka momma
x
Countess Carrot [pollen donor]......aka daddy

To simplify the tags would read ........

JP x CC , the pod parent [momma] always is the first in description.

The same record keeping format holds true for other species also =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.