roses from cuttings

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I took cuttings from my David Austin roses. Put jars over them and set them down by a register. Kind of forgot about them til last week so I picked up the pots and lifted the jars, and there were leaves! I left the jar off thinking to get them used to being without. That evening when I checked on them, they were drooping, so I put the jars back on and set them down by the heat again. This morning (A week later) I took off the jars and all the stems and withered leaves were covered with grey mold! I cleaned it off, but I suppose the cuttings won't put out any more leaves?. What did I do wrong? What do you do when you see the jars covering the cuttings are full of leave? Is there a special way to acclimate the plants? And, how can I keep mold from forming?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

it sounds like they didn't get enought time to root,sometimes it can take up to 12 weeks to root & i dip my cutting in a rooting hormone.i also grow roses from seed by cross hybridizing them.if you graft in on your canes you can put 2 or 3 colors on each rose cutting.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for telling me. That has to be the problem as I didn't expect them really to root. I put cones over the bushes late this year and had to cut some longer branches off so the cover would fit. I didn't want to toss the cuttings away, so just stuck them in soil and put a jar over them just for the heck of it. After some weeks I remembered what I had done and took the jar off and found 8 had new leaves so thought to leave the jar off for a while. That evening they were drooping and I hastily put the jar back. A week later the stems and all were obliterated by dense mold!
I like your idea of propagating. I would like to try that in the spring. thanks again, Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.