Hydrangea Cuttings

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I put hydrangea cuttings into rooting hormone and soil in December. They are showing growth, but no roots yet. One of them is a vareigated variety, and has 8 little leaves on it. What am I doing wrong that they still haven't established root systems? Do I need to move them to pure perlite?

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Space,

Leave them alone. Maybe the temps are not warm enough, but if they are putting on leaves I would just wait. I use damp sand in my rooting bed, works great for me.

How the Kutz problem going & the
moving??

Honeybee

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

Closing this afternoon at 3 PM. Will start tackling the kudzu this weekend after we get moved in. Thanks for asking!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Be patient. Those roots will grow strong and healthy in the not too distant future. lol

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Sheryl,

I am so excited for you!! We want pictures.

Honeybee

P.S.
As soon as it warms up I'll
send you a..........

"Yard Warming Gift Box"

This message was edited Feb 17, 2004 6:52 PM

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!!!!! I posted a pic of the house under plant trading.."Hold my Trades"!!!! Dirt is coming out tomorrow while I wait for the Propane guy, I can make a few raised beds.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I have found hydrangea to be amazingly easy to root; but I have done it on summer cuttings. I put them in ordinary potting soil, 1 gal containers, light shade, and they do the rest. I had a bunch I stuck in the fall a couple of years ago; They amazed me, rooting into the soil below when I went to dislodge them in the spring! Leave'em alone. They'll be fine!

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't have any trouble either. I trim back my hydrangeas about this time every year. Not wanting to throw them in the compost, I just stick them right into the soil in the "starter" garden; no rooting hormones either. All have taken hold. You should see signs very soon, once our weather settles. Leave them alone. They should be fine.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I am puzzled by you guys who are pruning in februry. Most hydrangeas set buds on the previous year's growth, and most advisers say to prune no later than July, or you will kill most of the next year's blooms. How does it go for you Georgia folks?

Peter

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi friends! -

I noticed, when checking out cable tv today, that at 7 - 7:30 Monday (Mar. 1) am, the show Gardening Journal is to discuss rooting hydrangea cuttings. Of course, we know all all about it, but somebody might watch or record it, whatever. That's eastern time, and I don't know what the cable schedule is like for anybody else, but whatever....

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

pdkrones-I am refering to "shaping up" my hydrangeas. They are large and I trim back the branches that are either very low to the ground or are getting in the way of my other shrubs; nothing more. I get loads of blossoms. The ones I newly root bloom next year.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

gotcha, hotlanta - happy blooming!

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

You too, pdkrones :) and everyone else

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.