tomatoes in containers

Hamilton, Canada

This year I'm growing tomatoes in containers also. I planted different varieties of basil with them and also marigolds. I'm trying something different that I saw on a gardening show on television. I took Sweet 100 and planted it in the bottom of a hanging basket so the root was inserted in the hole in the bottom extending into the bowl itself pointing upwards instead of the usual way around. Then one fills up the basket with potting soil and plants annuals or herbs. Supposedly, the plant will grow down for a bit and then turn upwards towards the sun. This will make for an interesting specimen and as the plant grows you tie it to the "handles" that attach to the hook...well the basket is all set with its herbs, flowers and tomato plant so will just wait and see what it does.
:-)
Joydie1

Edgewood, MD(Zone 7a)

I have heard that could be done but have never seen it. Be sure to post a photo once it gets growing welll so we can all take a gander!

Kathie

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd like to see a photo too! I'm wondering though...do you have to secure the plant that's growing out the bottom hole, so that it doesn't try to 'fall out'...or does it do OK? I'll be interested to hear how it turns out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.