Night Blooming Jasmine/Cestrum nocturnum

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I am hoping someone can help me with this. In the plant database I see that the Night Blooming Jasmine can be started from seed but it then goes on to say that seed collecting is not recomended from this plant. Is it possible to collect the seed? How is it done? Why is it not recommended? Thank you for your help in this matter.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2004 7:22 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I could be wrong, but I think that usually when that's mentioned, it just means that there are much easier ways to propagate. hope someone else will chime in.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

These things root very easily with just cuttings in water. Let them heal or callous over first. I've never bothered with seeds, never even saw them - they must be very small.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

The only way I could get them is by seeds. :( I see that they do sell the seeds on the internet but am hoping someone has tried saving the seeds and would post how it worked out.

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Found a link with a couple of pics and some growing information, (and some "magic" info, too, grin).

http://www.alchemy-works.com/cestrum_nocturnum.html

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks zone3_newbie!! It confirms it can be done...I wonder if it is not recommended because the berry is poisonous?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2004 7:22 PM

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

After seeing the little white berries - I have seen these many times, just never thought about saving them. Besides I keep my plant shaped and pruned- it tends to get leggy.

Maybe they don't usually propagate from seed because it's so easy to get cuttings to root. Just glad to find that seedlings are possible, since I might try this as a houseplant later on.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I wrote "Alchemy Works" to ask them about the seeds...Harry said it certainly comes from seeds. He thought the only reason that they would say "not recommended" was that the vine cuttings are such an easy method of propagation.

Thanks for the input...confirms that it is possible. :)

This message was edited Feb 15, 2004 8:03 AM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

great news, eh??? :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

oh yes!! ;D

Yippee! Don't have much room indoors for houseplants, so tropicals are not something I've grown. But finding out that I could grow something this pretty that smells so heavenly, WOW!! I'm definitely going to give it a try now.

So glad you asked the question, Lilypon! It wasn't something I would have looked into on my own.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

zone3_newbie......I did some more researching and found that if the white berry has a little bit of brown the seeds will germinate. The person that grew them posted that the seeds were like pepper flakes and she planted them immediately.

Saw where this is pretty hardy, too, so I can plant it outside for the summer and take cuttings to overwinter inside. Definitely going to trade for this one when Spring comes.

It would be expensive for you to have to order seeds, but maybe you should email some of the people who have posted pics of this jasmine to the Plants Database. If they have it growing in a greenhouse, they might be willing to collect some seed berries and send them to you for postage, or do a trade.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I had one of those people contact me about the seeds...she just wasn't sure if it was possible. Looks like we have a good chance. I also read that it can take a couple of years for the plant to develop the scent it's so renowned for...the people that had success growing it from seed said it took 2 years before they noticed it's scent.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Easy to grow, I just started 4 of them. So yes they are easy from seed. Thanks, Jody

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for posting your success Jody!! :D

The Dalles, OR(Zone 8b)

I was able to start some from seed too. I sowed the seeds in March and the seedlings now have their first set of true leaves.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Lilypon, zone3_newbie, Azalea, busy_bee_or, JodyC

Have anyone of you gotten this plant growing? I'd like to know please.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes but not from seeds. The cuttings are easy to start. I leave them in water for a week or so and then pot them in sandy soil until well roooted, then regular pitting soil. They are not hardy here for me in zone 7b.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I think that was my problem (seeds) ... they gotten drowned out record rainfalls up here in the Catskill Mountains this "Summer?" questionable, because of very few co-operative days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.