new greenhouse

I was given a greenhouse. We have to take it apart and move it. It is very old and was made of glass. (Yes, was. Several of the pieces have broken as we try to take it apart.) Some of the pieces had already been replaced with what I assume is plexiglass, and I would like to replace the pieces we broke with a material other than glass. (eventually as money allows I hope to replace all the pieces of glass). I know the options, but I want to know the pro's and cons of these options. I would appreciate any suggestions from experience as to the lifespan, light, heat retention, and of course cost.
6 mil plastic
polycarbonate (is this what I have seen listed as lexan?)
and plexiglass
any other options??
Thanks.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we just made my greenhouse this spring-out of lots of different kinds of windows-tinted lightly to one tinted darker most of them are double paned anderson windows. I have 6 clear single pane crankouts-some plexiglass ones We framed it in with wood-I havent had any other kind of greenhouse-i luv my glass house-painting the wood black-still working on the flooring-and yes i have tons of plants in there already-i have been sitting in there lately just to keep warm! ;]
dori

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.