Variegated flowering maple

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Any body know if these germinate from cuttings. If so what's the best method?

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I took cuttings of these in the fall - stuck them in a pot and put a plastic bag over them. They all did well. This is my first time growing these (got them for 25 cents!), but so far I am not impressed. They grow tall, lose their bottom leaves and look spindley. But they always seems to have a flower on them!! What's your take on them??

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I accidently broke a piece of mine... stuck it in water and it rooted.

Here's a nice link somebody posted in another forum:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/abutilon.html

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, thanks for the good link. I printed off a bunch of things to read at a later time!! Sounds like I need to get heavier with the fertilizer!!

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Mine are beautiful & the Humming
Birds love them (esp. the red flowers). I have mine in the ground here in Zone 8B. When one breaks I just stick it in the ground & they root great.

Honeybee

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! Thanks everone. It seems like these should be very easy to root. Mine is in the ground in zone 8A and its blooming now. Its about 4 foot tall and has flowers at two stages of height. So I think I like it, probably need to use it as a back drop to other plants since it doesn't have much mass.

Daisy

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I did it. I took three cuttings, stuck them in the ground and now they are rooted and potted up.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey, fj, did you put my name on one of them for a house-warming gift? hehehe

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

You got it Linda. Lucky you! I only took three cuttings. One is yours! The other two are spoken for. I'm thinking of taking more cuttings. But the plant bushed out so nicely after I too the cutting that I'm eager to see lots of blooms on it this year. I truly recommend triming them back to keep them from getting leggy.

Daisy

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Daisy, you remember me telling you about the energy of a plant? We cut back almost everything @ the Farm to make them fuller & less leggy. Many times when you cut plants back, you can use the trimmings as cuttings. Waste not, want not!
:~)
Does 'the more, the merrier' go in here somewhere?
It is just so awesome(couldn't spell phem.... or pronounce it either) to have plants grow fr a small piece of any plant!
Miracle of life, even if it is plantlife!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.