Seed Potatoes

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

Its really getting close to potatoe planting time. I received my seed potatoes from Idaho eight days ago (all six pounds of them, lol). Last year didn't get them until early March. I plant Red Gold potatoes from www.ronnigers.com/. Have ordered from them over the past years and always get quality seed. Was very surprised to get them so early with the kind of weather we have been getting, was afraid they would be frozen, they were in excellent shape and I got a kick out of the insert that came with them.
Read as follows: Early Arrivals

Howdy --- Your seed potatoes have arrived early--Not to be alarmed---We just had an open weather window and early is better than late or frozen!

Just keep them cool, 40 - 50F until you want them to wake up as they are dormant now.

Ten days to 2 weeks before you wish to plant, place them in a 60-70F room and they will open their eyes and begin the growth process.

Louisville, KY

Gene, I know you are relieved that they are there already. Now you can just relax and begin some serious planning for your garden.
I don't plant potatoes anymore because I don't have the space on my sub-division lot. Some years ago, I had heard about a Monk in our area growing potatoes in a bushel basket and tried that. I did get potatoes but they were fingerling size. I may just try that again as a Fun Project! I can't wait to grow some of the 'maters you shared with me.
Gary/Louisville

Louisville, KY

Growing Vegetables and Herbs on the Deck and Patio in Bushel Baskets.
Gary/Louisville

Decks, Patios Make Great Garden Sites
By Norman Winter

Horticulturist
Central Mississippi Research & Extension Center

Growing fresh produce for the picking doesn't always mean having an intensive garden, a square-foot garden or an acre or more. It can be as simple and fun as growing a basket of petunias, and baskets are where I would like to start.

We have used bushel baskets at my house for just about everything, and they give a Southern, country-style feeling. They are available at farmer's markets for just a few cents in all sizes and colors. I have a couple of baskets in my office that resemble the tall bongo drums used in Ricky Ricardo's band.

Bushel baskets are among the best, disposable containers for growing all kinds of plants. They come with handles, naturally drain well and look good on the porch, patio or deck.

Try growing two or three cabbages in a basket and maybe even place a small annual like alyssum in the pockets between the plants. Peppers also work well in a basket and can be interplanted with leaf lettuce.

For extra fun, try growing cherry tomatoes in a basket, and let the vines cascade out over the edge like you would a lantana or purple wave petunia.

My son James still talks about the time we planted Irish potatoes in a large basket. This might be just the way to get your children started in their first gardening project.

For a really awesome basket that will be the envy of fellow gardeners, try lettuce in a wire hanging basket. Get a wire basket and line it with moist sphagnum moss.

Fill the basket with a light potting soil. Then place leaf lettuce transplants about four inches apart in holes throughout the basket. Push the root ball through the moss into the moist potting soil. Be sure and place several transplants in the top of the basket, too!

Place the basket where it will get almost full sun. As the lettuce starts to grow you will have an almost perfectly round basket as pretty as an ivy or fern and a whole lot tastier.

You can choose to alternate a green leaf lettuce, like Black Seeded Simpson, with a red leaf lettuce like Red Sails in your basket, or make a basket of each.

If you have thought about growing herbs, but for some reason they still seem slightly mystical or just unknown, then try some in containers first.

You could try some in a bushel basket where they would certainly do well but on the other hand they look picture perfect in one of the Old World or European style containers.

Which herbs should be your first? You should certainly consider which might be most useful in your kitchen, such as basil, rosemary, oregano or thyme. These four really look good in a container and will give season long enjoyment. The fragrance of these herbs is an added bonus to the patio.

This is only the surface of the fun that can be had growing veggies and herbs in containers. The options are almost endless. Just remember to provide a large enough container for the roots, a good light potting soil, and enough sun, water and fertilizer during the summer months.

-30-
Released: March 18, 1999

Editor's Note: Ideal publication dates of Southern Gardening columns are within one month of their release. Editors should examine older columns carefully for any information that could be time sensitive

Growing Sweet Potatoes in a Basket
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/sweetpotato.htm

Early Season Vegetables
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/pitt/ag/hort/releases2002/newsjan19.html

A Bushel Basket Makes a great highrise space for growing ...
http://www.detnews.com/2002/garden/0207/01/e18-509311.htm

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

VG my apologies, you threw me for a moment. I forgot it was you that I sent the green tomatoe seeds to. I hope they work out for you, I have about 200 sq ft of raised boxes with 20 inches of soil I prepared. Lots of compost and earth worm beding. The soil is very dark (our regular soil is red clay) and it does great. Plese send me another e-mail so I can add it to my address book and keep in contact.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The note that came with your seed potatoes is very down to earth. I was trying to remember when that weather window was, it must be tricky to send things out from there in the winter because they are right up against the Rocky Mountains. Glad you got them ok.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Reading this thread makes me want to get my potatoes planted, but it's still a little early here.
Maybe a silly question , but do you pay any attention to the moon signs when you plant or go by the almanac?

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

Kathy Jo, I don't but many people do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.