how long to stratify?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i am stratifying some echinaecea and some clematis in the fridge right now-- does anyone know how long i should keep each of them in there?
the info i have for the clematis says 90 days, didnt know if this was correct or not
and the coneflower, i have no idea about! thanks for the info.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

art... I remember I stratified my echinacea about 40 days. I had the seeds in damp sand in a baggie in the veg, keeper. Nearly all seeds germinated when I planted them!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I just put mine in a pot, never straified them at all = they sprouted too. Probably just luck...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Clematis NEEDS TO BE STRATIFIED and help break their cycle of dormancy. Since Art lives in TX and Sarv48 lives in MI, there is a huge difference! I would stratisfy your seeds in the refrigerator, Art. Winter sowing can be used very successfully in Michigan. Usually a three month cold period followed by a three month warm period is needed. If the Clematis seeds don't germinate, repeat the stratification cycle. You may find that Clematis will not germinate all at the same time. That is very customary for them. Don't give up on them....they will surprise you when you least expect it!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a really good reference site I use for seed germination:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

Hope that helps.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I have some Clematis seed I collected in Arizona. It was labelled "Virgin Bower Vine". I suspect it is Clematis ligusticifolia.

I also have some Violets.

I think I need to stratify both of these.

Can I stratify them in paper towels? The seeds are kinda small; but, not tiny.

Don't really have room for potting trays in the fridge. Plus, I don't think DW would appreciate dirt in the vegetable drawer.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I utilize Tom Clothier's seed germination database, http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html. Both are very good to use. It's whichever one you prefer.

Thats a great site Pudgymudpies. shirley, the link you have doesnt work for me- says 'not found' ? Right now I have my clematis in a ziploc in the fridge-- no dirt though. I soaked them in boiling water for a day and then put them in the baggie, so there is moisture in there. Should I put dirt in there with them? and with the echinacea, i have them in a baggy with dirt and moisture in the fridge also. Will these both work?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I always cold strat with a moist fill, either soil or vermiculite to mimic nature, maintain moisture. I have never done the boiling water, I have only used hot tap water.
The site Shirley posted is another really good one. You probably just have to start at the main page to get to the germination database.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/
Good luck!

wow that is a good site- both bookmarked. i think i will go put some dirt in with the clematis like you said. thank you all for the help!:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.