Need Brugs, Datura & Rose of Sharon help!!!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I want to get these seeds started this weekend! I know there were threads somewhere about planting brugs from seed, but can't find them. I also need info on planting the Datura & Rose of Sharon from seed as well.

Which ones do I nick (and how) and which ones do I soak overnight? And what kind of soil do I need to go buy? I'm headed for NW Seed & Pet sometime today to get supplies.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

soak your brug seeds overnight, if they are large, peel the corky outside off. Don't get anything with fertilizer in it to start seeds, but most anything else works.
http://www.brugmansias.org/seeds.html

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I put sowing brugs in the search box and this came up. www.brugmansias.org. Might be what you're looking for!

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Karrie: On the datura: you can soak them overnight and do an immersion in a 10% bleach solution, or you can sow them dry. Depending on the cultivar, they can start to show in a few days or a few weeks. Patience is a must with these little buggers. On the rose of sharon: I had never tried these from seed before this year. A wonderful DG person gave me some seeds and I sowed them in a soiless seed starting mix, covered them and put them in my GH. I have three seedlings out of the six I sowed and may have more -- they just came up and were planted about a month ago. Hope that's helpful to you :) Gretchen

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I think I'll go get some regular potting soil and some germination mix. Also more trays. I have plenty of pots that I have saved over the years (small to large) but my trays are toast! Oooooooooooooohhhhhh do I ever have spring fever!!! lol!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

kauffman,

what do you mean by immersion with 10% bleach? very new at this! soak them in it or just pour over them in a strainer????????

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

soak them in 10% bleach, 90% water for about 15 minutes prior to sowing. you can do this with your brug seeds too.

Karrie:
If you use left-over pots, you might want to disinfect them prior to use. Also on your soiless seed starter, you want it to be sterile. I have found that the little ziplock or similar containers work great when placed (without their colored lids) in a sealed ziplock bag.

Here is some rockwool in a ziplock as an illustration. Another thing that works really well and is cheap is a disposable aluminum cake pan that has a domed lid. Hope this helps some :)

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

When they become too tall for that container you can move them up to the cups, which I have copied from other members here and it work very well. I always remove the domes once they get their first real leaves, not the cotyledons (the first set).

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys! Just got back to NW Seed & Pet & bought some fresh pots as well as trays, plus the two dif types of soils, so I could start out fresh. :) Wish me luck!

The daylilies I started (from poppysue) are just starting to sprout after 1 week. I'm so excited!!!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

good luck!! you can do it, these are easy.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

well, I nicked the seeds tonight, on the brugs, pretty much felt like I tore half them off as they were dry brittle and fluffy all at the same time. I put them in water, and we shall see! The daturas & rose of sharons I saved for tomorrow, as I was told to immerse them for just 15 minutes in the bleach water (daturas) - will be very careful with those as to not to infect. The Rose of Sharons I guess are easy.

I went ahead and soaked my Red Canna Lily Seeds overnight. Hope that was a good thing. I looked at them and they looked like the type that I should. HEY! I'm actually learning man! lol!

Love you all and appreciate your help!

Karrie

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Karrrie, if you didn't nick your canna seeds, it might help to go ahead and do that. I use a cuticle clipper and they can be easily nicked, but be careful and don't nick your finger too. I then leave my seed in water until they start to germinate and plant. Away they go..

Forgot to say that I didn't soak until germination on the ones I first put in the rockwool and had a few empty cubes, so I soaked the last ones to make sure they were going to germinate and then filled the empty spots. Want to make sure I make good use of all the rockwool cubes.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2004 10:27 AM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh no! Too late! I planted the canna seeds this morning, un-nicked! (I did soak them overnight though)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

They will probably be okay Karrie, but it might take them a few days longer to pop.

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Hi Shirley

Thought I'd say hello. Interesting thread. I have germinated 3 brugs sanguinea seeds (my first ever) and one is now 2" tall and I'm so proud. On the downside, I did have an accident with one of the seedlings - I pulled its head off trying to get the seed coat off it - doh!! My camera is not working at the moment so I can't post a pic. I've also sowed the brug seeds you sent me so I'm pretty excited.

Karrie, as a first timer to Brugs, they are extremely rewarding and it's exciting checking the pots each day (or many times a day in my case). Let us know how you get on.

Sue

Shirley: Do you have to pull the seed hull off? Won't it just fall off like with other types of flower seeds? I peeled the majority of mine, but there are a few that weren't. I figured that Mother Nature doesn't peel them, so...... Please let me know -- thank you!!! Gretchen

Prudence and Karrie: good luck with your babies -- its so much fun!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gretchen, I generally give them a little tug and if they don't come off right then, I spray them several times a day with water and eventually they come off as the brug grows. Sometimes the seed coat will get caught on one leaf and I've been known to pull them off, taking some of the leave with it, but as long as you don't injure the growth point, they should be okay.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hi Sue,
Looks like you are getting hooked on brugs. Hope you will come over to the brug forum and look around. Once you start checking the older threads, you will find lots of good information and the pictures are awesome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.