grow mat temperatures

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone happen to know what the temp of a grow mat is? My mom gave me a black rubber mat that plugs in & is called a foot warming mat. I think it gets warmer then the grow mats but I am just guessing. Thanks

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I am guessing mine gets about 80 degrees, but pots of dirt are quite a ways up from the mat so don't think it would be too hot, at least I haven't "cooked" anything on it yet!.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

well I tested the mat and it has some spots hotter then others. The edges stay around 80-85 and the center topped out my 120 degree thermometer! Think I might lay a stepping stone in the middle and let it send that heat up through the cement before it gets to my tray. I will try that and test again.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

70° - 72° is correct for starting seeds. The best thermometers are the little probe instant read ones.

Catch Ya Later, §hirley in
Smalltownrednecktractorville,WI

Test the temps in the soil (in the pot) ...

§

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

My heating mat also has some "hotter" temps. I set the peat pots in different places. Soil doesn't get that hot at the top of the pots, where the seeds are.

Check the soil temps, not the mat. I use humidity domes on my seed starting flats which seems to equalize the temps.
Just don't cook 'em...... they don't taste good ... LOL
§

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My heat mats have no thermostat, but there is a wire grid about 1 inch above the mat and the plants sit on the grid.

PM... A stepping stone on the mat will probably get to nearly the same temp as the mat, so you might try a wire grid of some kind above your mat.

I have Paulgrows home-made heat boxes and no thermostat. I adjust heat with bubble wrap or cardboard or folded newsprint or foam insulation board .
§

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Great ideas I am getting! Thank you all very much. I am working on something this weekend to get it off the carpet, even though it is a floor mat, I think it might discolor my carpet over time & I am NOT going to set it on my table, so I am making a platform. I have a baking rack that will fit right over the middle and I will put my plastic dishes with my sponge seedlings on that, and then around the sides where the rack does not cover I will put the soil pots because I tested the soil & it was 80 at the bottom. So they will be fine.
You guys are the greatest!
Donna

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have a large piece of thick styrafoam(sp) under my heatmat. No heat on bottom of foam mat, so would protect any wood, carpet etc. This was styrafoam sent in shipping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.