I'm Getting on the Sponge Bandwagon!!!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

K, so I got an excellent deal on the sponges and last night I picked out some seeds to try and start.

The big ones are Christmas Palm seeds. ( Yesterday I picked these off the ground from a house I used to live in.) I wanted to see if they need the red coating or not to be viable.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

And these are, Red & Purple Bauhinia, Tiger Lily, and Mexican Shellflower, all of which I recently acquired from trades with you wonderful DG people. I also put in some Red Painted Daisy's. Now let's wait and see and keep out finger's crossed.

:^) Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Good luck Molly those are all things I haven't tried, so I will be watching to see how they do.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Molly,
Yippie! Fun isn't it? :)
I am anxious to hear how your bauhinia seeds do. I have grown them in potting soil before & they were always the first one up. I planted them in these sponges & they just keep expanding & splitting, but nothing. I wondered if it was because in soil I bury them flat, but in the sponges they were on their side. Like maybe they need complete darkness. I don't know but look forward to your reports.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

I'm going to be very curious about the germination time of the Bauhinia. I planted one about a month ago, pre-RW/Sponge. I haven't seen any activity yet...

Valley Village, CA

Be careful with a rotting off problem and fungus. Some of my cronies tried florist excelsa, it did not work saatisfactory at all. I would think if these methods work the big growers would use these techniques.

These methods are not cost or space efficient for big growers...

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well,
thought I would update that today I see the first signs of my bauhinia seeds sprouting. When I use soil it takes between 5-8 days with NO soaking or nicking. They have been in the sponges 18 days and were nicked.
I cannot believe the amount of swelling of these to, so much more then in soil. Interesting.
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies

I think mine must be no longer viable :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.