tomatoes in containers

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Didn't know if it should go here or in container gardening:)
First year we've grown tomatoes in containers, and we put them in three gallon pots. Now I'm so sure that's just way too small. They are really producing, I have a couple with about 20 tomatoes on them, my Roma has almost 30!!! But will they be okay all season in this size? If not, I'm guessing it's too late to move them, because of the size, huh? If you grow them in containers, what size do you start them in?
Dave, feel free to move this to container gardening if you want to.
tiG

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Tomatoes do great in containers.Some varieties do better than others though.It would help to know which ones you are growing. Red Robin is a determinate cherry that will produce a great many fruit from a 1 gallon container.On the other hand,some of the larger beefsteak types need a very large container or plant them out in the garden.

Here is a quick lesson on tomato types that you might want to file somewhere.

Determinate tomatoes are generally smaller,stocky plants that don't usually require staking for them to remain upright. They produce their fruit so that most of them ripen in a pretty narrow window.This is great for the commercial growers as they can judge when their harvest will be.They will produce the bulk of tomatoes during this time,with a few on either side of this ripening window.They gre known as 'patio tomatoes' because their compact habit allows them to be successfully grown in containers.

Indeterminate tomatoes continue to grow and set fruit until they are killed by frost.They can sprawl for several feet,or if caged or staked can get taller than a man.Some are as prolific as kudzu and will cover a trellised wall if allowed to spread.This type of tomato will produce a smaller harvest per week over the growing season,but will produce for a longer period of time.

Heat is a factor in container grown tomatoes and as I see you are in zone 7 same as me,you will have to watch those hot temps.Tomatoes will shut down and refuse to produce fruit with temps over 90,so If you have your containers sitting in the sun ,on concrete or bricks,your temps at ground level could go over the 100 mark pretty quickly.
just by setting them on the ground itself could lower those temps by 20 degrees or more.

Don't mist your tomato plants to reduce temps,tomatoes don't like wet leaves.And make sure the containers don't dry out.
Water 2 or 3 times a day to make sure they don't go bone dry.
Mulch your soil area with shredded newspaper to reduce evaporation.Just don't let your leaves touch the mulch or soil.I pick off all leaves for the first 8 inches to a foot so that thay don't have a chance to get wet.This keeps down disease.Fungus is a real problem with tomatoes.

Now don't be scared off by all of these instructions.Actually ,tomatoes are some of the easiest plants to grow.If you have any further questions,feel free to ask,and let me know just what you have in those containers so I can judge better as to how to advise you.

Excellent information, Melody. BTW - is this Red Robin the F1 that you were mentioning earlier to me? I'm looking for a good determinate cherry that produces with the consistency you mentioned.

Dave

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Dave,
The F1 cherry that I love so is called Chello.It is a large dark gold cherry tomato and while it is classed as a determinate type,I've found it to be a great producer over the whole season.It is just one of the few tomatoes that I will use a conventional tomato cage on.
Actually,I'm considering dehybridizing it to an OP form.Would you be intrested in helping with such a project?

Red Robin has a much smaller harvest time.For about 4 weeks you get tomatoes and then you pitch the plant.It will however,set fruit in the greenhouse and dosen't seem to mind cooler temps.It is a very small plant however ,but it's fruit to size ratio is very good.I wouldn't use it for a fresh market type.Just too little.A one gallon container is plenty big for it.For salads on your table it's great.

I'm trying a red cherry called Steakhouse this season for fresh market sale..I'll keep you informed as to how it does.

Melody, I'll help with the dehybridizing. I've got plenty of space! :)

Thanks for all the info, again.

Dave

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,
This is my first post on this forum. It looks like a great place! I grow a lot of varieties in containers, 50+ this year. I do not limit them to the smaller varieties. I have great success with the big ones, like Brandywine, too. The secret is good soil and consistent watering. Another plus is growing in Wisconsin, where we have ideal conditions for tomatoes. You will all just have to move here! Good luck and happy growing. Amy.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have Juliet ( a Roma type), Mr. Stripey, Celebrity and Lowes Tomato. Now :) don't have a clue what that last one is, that's all it says. Bet you can't guess where I bought it. I started seeds of Viva Italia for later in the season, after these have played out, but they're still seedlings.
Will all these be alright in those 3 gallon pots? I just don't see anyway to move them, so I guess they have to be.
sitting here with fingers crossed:)
Amy, can't move north!!! Grandbaby is here! God has been consistenly watering mine lately, but I will watch them closely.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Mr Stripey is the only one that may give any trouble.The rest are fine..don't know about the Lowes.

Mr Stripey can get pretty viney and snakey.Some people have had good luck with him and others flop.

I,for one,tend to choose several other bi-colors over him if given a choice.Production is not too good for me and the plants just sorta 'exist' here in my garden.But don't despair...lots of folk just love him in theirs.

Any tomato can be grown in a container with proper care...outofcontrol is right.Just make sure they get regular moisture.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Yup, here I go singing the praises of those "earthboxes" again! LOL But seriously, they are great! I love mine and I've grown some of the best vegetables in them. I have a dentist friend that has all of his tomatoes and cucumbers planted in earthboxes and the rest of his crops like corn are planted in the garden. Take a look at the earthboxes here and be sure to check out the whole site to see all the different crops you can grow in them:

http://www.earthbox.com/Tomatoes/tomatoes.html

San Lorenzo, CA

Pete2, those Earthboxes look really interesting. I was fantasizing about just such a container when I was planting my two tomatoes in a redwood planter box. And the price seems reasonable, especially compared to large containers purchased from a home center. My redwood planter is slightly smaller than an Earthbox and cost almost twice as much. Yikes.

They really are great I promise! And they're made very well, too. They will last years and years and you can't really say that about too many things these days. LOL I think they're worth the $29.00/each I paid for them. In fact, I love them so much that I'm going to order 10 more of them. I grew the equivalent of 160 feet of broccoli in them this past January/February in my greenhouse. It was the best and the most beautiful broccoli that I've ever grown. I sure wish I could buy some stock in that company! LOL

Terri

San Lorenzo, CA

Okay, Terri, guess I'll just have to get one and test a few small crops in preparation for next year's tomatoes!

Who knows, maybe the company will go public someday. And they actually make a product, which puts them miles ahead of many technology stocks.

You'll be glad you tried one. I wish I got a commission on all the earthboxes I've sold for that company! I'm always talking about how great they are. If they offered to make me a distributor, I'd do it in a heartbeat but unfortunately they don't offer them...darn it. :(

Terri

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

The earthboxes have always interested me, but I would have to buy too many for the numbers of plants I grow. Perhaps I could limit myself to one, nah, I can't limit myself! Most of the pots I grow in, I have retrieved from the throwaway bins at area garden stores. Many will put big tree pots out by the garbage bins. Those work the best. It is also good to ask about any they are planning to toss. Amy.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

'Nother thread that needs to be revived!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.