Experiment with sponges

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

While I'm waiting on my rockwool, I decided to try a sponge vs potting soil experiment. Found these in the $Tree, 8/$1. They have the scrubbie pad attached so I ripped it off (and have a stack of scrubbie pads to boot). They are about 3 x 4 inches, so one sponge will make 12 1" cubes.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, I'm easily entertained. I put 6 seeds (Brugie Red Moon Vine) in slits cut in the sponge and 6 in my usual cup/cup method.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Only 2 days, and here's a sprout,

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

and a root. Nothing happening in the cup.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Good for you! I am looking forward to seeing what your opinion is after you have been using the foam sponge for a while. I have also been using the foam & would love to compare notes. I got the idea from the post that Alice (aknapp) started. But I started with tree seeds & I am not getting the rapid results that others are getting. Are you going to leave the sprouts in the sponges or transplant right away?
Donna

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I potted one up last night (sponge and all) and left the other in the baggie. I also started Datura and other seeds that do not germinate as fast.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Great pictures! I'm beginning to think I may like sponges better than the rockwool just based on what I've seen here at DGs. I haven't actually tried that method yet.

The deno method was producing no results for my unknown brug seeds and I only had one or two sprout from the rockwool.

So, I've moved the same seeds from the deno method into old fashioned moistened perlite and within two days, I had some sprout. Maybe the brug seeds like a lighter medium in which to sprout?

Here's a shot of one...

Thumbnail by Morph
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Brug seeds like some light to germinate and maybe the perlite gives them that. Who knows. I think whatever works best for each individual is the way to go. I've not tried the sponges and probably won't this year. I have also found that sterilizing my soil with boiling water gives better germination rates with brug seeds for me.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I think the cooler temps, even inside have slowed mine down. I've ordered a heat mat (I never thought I would become so obsessive about starting seeds) to see if that speeds things up. Brugs have been slow to germinate for me. When I get the rockwool and the heat mat, look out. . .

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yep, I upped the heat of the heating pad and that combined with the perlite has produced better results.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I haven't tried pearlite with the seeds. I'll add that to my experiment.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

the sponge method (almost
sounds like birthcontrol)haha
after putting in seeds do I
put the sponge in a plastic
bag? I'm in zone 7a and have
not a green house one...
also should I keep the sponges
inside the house or would the
garage do? I'm loving this
gardening 101...
deller

Hanover Park, IL(Zone 5a)

I put my sponges in a tray, covered with plastic wrap and on top of the water heater.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

If you do put the sponges in a plastic bag, I'd probably open them at least once every other day to allow new air to circulate inside. Just my 2¢

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.