germinating asparagus fern seed

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

My ferns are full of red berries and I was wondering if these have to be cold treated or if I can just plant them in seed starting medium? Do I need to soak them? Thanks Tracy

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I've always thought they needed to dry out or something...but have no clue, since i've never tried! good question!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Ive done this and it works every time. I soak the seeds until the pulp ferments and separates, changing the water every day. After about a week, I fill a cup with soil, topped with about 1/2 vermiculite - sow the seeds and cover with their diameter vermiculite (in this case, about 1/8 inch). I use another cup on top for a mini-gh. In a few weeks, they start sprouting up like little green hairs. I don't separate them, just let them keep growing as a clump and move up pot sizes when needed.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Picture did not post.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Central, AR(Zone 7b)

lhughes so this is with out any cold period???? I believe I could do that. You say the seed will have to soak for about a week right? Tracy

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't stratify. Just pick the berries, soak and separate pulp (that is supposed to break dormancy) and plant. I usually see sprouts in 3-4 weeks. I've got about 6 4" pots full that I started in September. I'll post a photo tonight.

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

so do you you think I waited to late?

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

no, they should do fine. I have started them at other times of the year. If the berries are ripe, they should germinate.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I just went and picked all the red berries on my asparagus fern - they were starting to shrivel. I opened two of them - each had one big black round thing. Is that the seed or do I need to open the black thing? Let me know - I need to do something fun in all this snow!!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

The black thing is the seed. Just put them in warm water and let the pulp separate. I usually soak mine about a week, changing the water every day. I usually put 20 or so berries in a 2-3 inch pot.

I'm confused- I put the black seed in water? Or do I just plant the black seed?

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Put the red seeds in the water. The red will rot and float to the top. Pour that off everyday when you change water. You will be left with a cup of black seeds, that is what you plant.

ok, now I get it. I just squeezed the red berry and the black seed popped out. Would that work? The red berry is real squishy and it is not hard to do...

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

That will work, but I would still soak them for several days before planting.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Here are some I started in August. A sidewalk cafe in Savannah, GA had some really nice plants with red berries. I asked if it was ok to pick some and they said sure. I name my plants after who ever gives it to me or where ever I was. This is my Asparagus Savannah.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I have three pots of them.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Central, AR(Zone 7b)

great pics gotta try this one!!!! tracy

We have sprouts!! Planted 12 seeds. Three have sprouted (took just over three weeks) I did soak 6 of them them, but not for several days. I have some more to try and I am going to put a bunch of them in one pot. I put one seed in each pot for the first potting up. Whoopeee!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Great, I have a new pot of them germinating now too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.