Butterfly Bush from seed

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Has anyone ever done this, and are there any tricks to it?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

No tricks - just good potting soil, spray to dampen, sow seeds/chaff (the seeds are too tiny to separate), cover with saran wrap, provide light in a warm spot, and they will germinate in about a week or so. Don't sow them too heavily as they are hard to separate.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Kay. Do you know how long it takes to get a good sized bush?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some I got off of my B-bush this fall, I didnt stratify these seeds at all, is it necessary? I didnt want to even try to trade some until I knew they would germinate, of course I only took one sprig off the bush. I have the dartmoor.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

One of the germination databases says they need cold but I usually just leave them on the bush for the cooler months. If anything, you'll have better germination than you want! LOL Believe Kay, they are really hard to seperate!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Ive sen them, I think Ill try to sow them just a few to a pot and whatever I dont want Ill just give away.

Hartford, CT(Zone 5a)

Hi, I know this is a very old thread, but it can't hurt to try. I have the same question as skyeblu - how long does it take to get a decent size bush from seed? It's certainly more economical to but seed than plants but if it takes a number of years then I'll go with plants. Thanks, Dave

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually B-bush is very easy to propagate, and you'll get a larger plant much faster than by seed. Take a cutting several inches long, remove at least the lower 2 leaves @ the nodes, use RH or not, remove any flowers and cut it back so there are at least 2 sets of leaves above the soil. Keep it moist and in bright light and you'll have a new plant in no time!.............Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.