Aluminum Tray with Plastic Lid

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some of these. They are used for baking a cake or a cassarole to take to a function. Will the aluminum adversely affect the seeds if I use them to winter sow daylilies, hosta, cone flowers, poppies, etc? Either from the temperature or the metal.

In addition, I will want to put holes in, correct? Do they need both drain and vent, or just vent or what?

The temps today are coldest of the year so far. A high of 8 degrees. Should I put them out on a more moderate day, like 30 degrees, or does it even matter?

I am long past ready to do this, so hope I get an answer soon!

;~D

LimeyLisa Kay

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I've planted lots of seeds in alluminum baking pans. Put drainage holes & small vent holes for now. As weather gets warmer you can enlarge the vent holes if needed to keep them from getting too hot.

I don't think it matters too much when you plant as long as it's cold enough to keep seeds from germinating too soon. In other words... don't plant when your having a freak winter thaw. If seeds start germinating they might not make it if they freeze again. If your night time temps are freezing you should be fine.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks poppysue!

One more question, somewhere I read to put them where they don't get direct sun. If I put them up against the North side of my house, will that be enough light?

LimeyLisa Kay

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I keep mine in a partially shaded area and move them into more sun when it warms up and I can take the tops off the containers.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

LimeyLisa Kay

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I just spent a couple hours setting up eight trays of seeds to winter sow. I ran short a couple of trays so have to go to the store, however, it is only about 4 degrees outside and I just don't want to go tonight!

I planted purple and white coneflowers, mixed poppy seeds, a couple of unknown daylilies from a friend's garden and 15 different hostas. I have saved a few of each hosta, the purple coneflowers, poppy seeds, and one of the daylilies to do some inside. Just in case I screw up the winter sowing. Any idea for my zone when I should start them inside?

Also, for the ones outside, how often should I check them for moisture levels?

LimeyLisa Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.