peach tree borers & moth balls?'s

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I was told by the county extension in white county, that I needed to use moth balls around the peach trees for peach tree borer, is this what yall use, I have sap running out of my peach trees, this may be old, I'm sure their all dormant now, but none the less I have to take care of this problem, soon.

Your opinions if you could on this subject.

thanks in advance

kathy_ann

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy kathy ann...now is not the time to use moth balls (if ever). I don't know where you are, nor your zone, but perhaps you are into Winter weather now?

What you could do now is cultivate around the base of the trunk, exposing the grubs that may be wintering over. If you're lucky you'll find some! Other grubs/larvae will be in the trunk, usually within a foot of the ground. Stick a wire (coat hanger) into the burrows and smash whatever is in there. If you have other fruit trees nearby (plum, cherry, etc) you may want to check them out also.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks horseshoe, I'm in arkansas, it's winter here LOL real cold, but not as cold as some.

I appreciate your help. thanks, I do have plum trees and apple trees by the peach trees as well, I'll check the plum trees to make sure they don't have any grubs as well.

kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.