Fast growing vine to cover a chain link fence

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

Could you give me some suggestions for a fast growing vine to cover a chain link fence at the top of my hill? I have some huge yuccas in the hill & I've added some nannas. I'd like to add more nana & some ee's.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

How about passiflora? I love it and it is so tropical looking!

Hey Arlene, great idea! How fast does it grow? And it's purple, my favorite color. I'm going to do a google search now. Any idea where I can find some good size plants on-line. I know I saw a link to a site somewhere but I can't remember where it was. Do you think I could mix different passiflora together or would it be better to stay with just one type?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

You can have a wall of thunberia in no time. they are pretty much perennial here. I have the regular black eyed susan and the salmon ones. I have to say the orange are the better bloomer and blom all year round. If you havea huge area to cover - make stripes! there is a white black eyed susan too. I have passion flower, snail vine and the thunbergias along my fence. I NEED a red passion flower next.

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

You also could try clematis, maybe sweet autumn (clematis paniculata).

Bamb

My passiflora is near my steps so we can see the beautiful detail of the flower; if this is way in back along the lot line you might not see it well. Maybe your blooms in CA would be more abundant than the ones we had here in IA.

You might be better with Janice's suggestion; something more showy.

Is it a full sun area? That might hold you back some on vine selection if it is not.

I am hoping to purchase some vines at local nurseries when I come to CA in Jan.

The area gets full sun. Janice, do you have all those vines next to easch other? Arlene, I'll go vine shopping with you.
I just saw some really amzing plants at Aloha tropicals. Are all passifora vines? There's a little orchid vine with small oncidiums that I like. Also, the soil is not too great in that area..

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Passiflora's are great, fast growing vines. They do have a tendency to hang near the upper portion of the chain link fences but you can train them to go down into the lower section of the fences. Here is a picture of mine. I have the purple and the red, and they are growing over into each others area. It looks great. Once they are established, they will grow a foot a week. I also have some sky vines which will grow quite fast, but have a tendaency to grab onto the phone pole, the oak tree etc. I have to constantly be after retraining it.This pic is showing 2 purple and 1 red vine. The 2 purples are in for 1 1/2 years. The red is in for 1 year.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Okay! Passifloras for sure! I just went to almostedenplantscom & fell in love with 'Ruby Glow Giant Grandilla'. Can someone tell me how to post a hyperlink?Arlene, you are right about the detail of the flower being too far away though. Especially since I'm as blind as a bat.
The plants for sale online are only in 4.5" pots. I was hoping for something bigger. Patience, patience, patience. I really need some!

That is my back fence, this picture is the side connecting fence with the sky vine on it. It also has white and blue trumpet vines which grow very fast, but the trumpets won't stay out of the grass. The sky vine has beautiful lavender flowers that the birds love to eat, so do the squirrels.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Almost Eden has some okay plants. I bought a couple purple passion plants (not to be confused with purple passion vines) from them and they are doing very well. At the same time, I bought 2 Queen's Wreath vines from them, and even though they are healthly, they haven't increased in size hardly at all, even tho I transplanted to a bigger pot. I have passion vines popping up all over my yard, but whenever I try to transplant to another pot or root a clipping, it doesn't do very well.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Not yet but the day is young! I have 2 fence sections of thunbergia with a third one started of the salmon. I got a grandifloria fom pudgiemudpies but it is still a baby. My other vines have a long way to go to cover their sections of fence.

I also have carolina jessamine in the front that blooms out a couple of times a year and is an attractive plant the rest of the time. It is also in full sun and requires zip care once it is started. How about cherry tomatoes lol?

Get those seeds started girl and you will have the fence started in no time. How much do you have to cover?

I have a lot to cover.... not all of it is visible. How many plants in 5" pots will I need for "instant gratification?" There are some passiflora on ebay for a "buy it now" of $6.99. I put a snipe bid in on hammersnipe.

Janice, your 'wandering jews' are wandering really well. Soon I'd like to separate some & mix with spider plant in the shade garden.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

you could try coral vine (antigonon leptopus)
it does most of it's growing in the summer, tho
but it can grow up to 30 feet in one season...
tis a possibility :)

Kim

Roger's Gardens is one place I plan to go ~ Newport Beach

I've been trying to see Rogers Garden since the RU. I guess I'll wait for you!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Bambi, just hack them off and stick them in potting soil. They take off as soon as they get a root. Heck, just toss them anywhere remotely damp and they will grow. Glad they are doing well for you. Did you take some String of Bananas? Mine have taken on a blue cast since it has been cold and are really pretty. Just wondered if anyone else's had done this.

If you are ever down this way, Walter Anderson's Nursery is wonderful and most of the gallon plants are $6.00 to $8.00. They have a wonderful selection and use local growers.

I find it so completely strange that there is no "great" nursery anywhere near 90210. Then again, Beverly Hills doesn't have a book store either.

LOL

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Nowhere in Southern Ca has a decent bookstore anymore. All of ours have fallen victim to the large chains.

Bamb,
I will be there soon; we will DEFINITELY nursery shop; Donna and I know where to go!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You all have to make sure you go to Roger's Gardens! I probably spent 5 hours or so there and didn't buy a thing. (Too far too haul it 1900 miles back home) I fell in love with that place. We were there Christmas of 2002, and I would love to see it in the spring and summer. I know you three will love it! Donna goes there, doesn't she?

Brin :)

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Boy oh boy do I know where to go around here!!!

Brinda, I've been to Rogers lots of times, and it is beautiful, but I have several other places that I can get some unusual things and the prices don't kill you.

Bambi, when Arlene comes back out we will take you to Rogers and some other neat places. Just be sure to have your Credit Cards available. hehe

Donna

Northridge, CA(Zone 10a)

Bambi:
I also recommend passifloras. Since you have lots of link fence to cover you might consider planting several varieties. The giant granadilla is a good choice, but so is the coccinea, which is an all red, and there are some very nice blues. And don't forget the Edulis, which is the fruiting passion fruit. We have some very nice nurseries just 'over the hill' here in the San Fernando Valley.
If you need a ride ( give me a ring and I'll go get you).
By the way: look up another vine that is very hardy and tropical looking that bears large, silky golden trumpets with purple lines. I happen to grow these. See photo.

Joe

Thumbnail by mainfrog
Northridge, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is another photo showing the vine growing on a chainlink fence, just like you want to do. Notice how golden the trumpet look as they age. This is called Cup of Gold and also Chalice Vine. The botanical name is Solandra Maxima.

Thumbnail by mainfrog
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Have you seen a scarlet trumpet vine? One 5 gallon vine will cover a huge chain link fence within a year. It is so showy. I just love it.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/49881/Scarlet+Trumpet+Vine_Distictis_buccinatoria.html

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It comes in purple also. Disneyland has a beautiful one of these.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/51743/Royal+Trumpet+Vine_Rivers_Distictis.html

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh, Joe!

Won't rest til I find it . . . have got to find that Solandra Maxima, Cup of gold; I look for the unusual and this one is great! Where do I get that one?

Joe,I need one of everything you have! Kell, I love the purple trumpet vine. Now I need to find one.
Arlene, I saw Joe's Cup of Gold at almosteden.com They have a 4" pot for $9.99. It also comes with a varigated leaf. Has anyone ever ordered from them?

Looks like a good source, bambi.

I don't expect to get much of a bargain on the unusual.

Arlene, Ask Joe!

Well, maybe Joe can root some cuttings for us. I know I gotta have the "Cup of Gold"

Bambi,
How does January 16, Fri or January 19 look for you. Have to run those dates by Donna to be they are good for her.
I am otherwise engaged on Jan 22-27, unless my DH winds up golfing with Donna's DH on Fri, the 23rd.

Friday sounds great. Maybe we could all go visit Joe.

If you want to go plant shopping you'll have to come to Orange County so we can go to Donna's secret places and Roger's Gardens.

If you want to do lunch at the Polo and go see Joe, we will come up your way.

Just let me know. I only have to confirm a doctor appointment to be sure I am available. And when I called
today, their office was closed. I will know on Monday.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Bambi, here is a pic of the Ipomoea Alba...called MoonFlower Vine. It is night blooming and normally a huge bloom, about 8" across the face. But I would assume that it is probably an annual. Someone else will have to answer that though. I think they are just beautiful....very striking and fragrant.

I really like Kell's idea of the purple trumpet vine. I love them and wish we could grow them here. But then again, I also love the Cup of Gold.

Brin :)

Thumbnail by Brinda

I'm ordering your moon flower from Select. If you like it, I know I will too. Does it grow fast? I just won a "Yellow Passion Vine Passiflora Lutea" on ebay.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Shoot Twinlakes, I just saw a 5 gallon HUGE MULTI STEM cup of gold for $42 at Berkeley Horticultural here! I thought of you!

I know Susie (Cala) sold these from her store on Dave's awhile back. Email her and see if she has any left. She us out of town for now, so she may be a little while getting back to you.

Geez, I must go check out Yellow Passion Vine Passiflora Lutea. I have never seen one before. I ran across this morning glory on google the other night. Fell in love at first site!

Thumbnail by Kell

Well, Kell!

I will be in CA in about a week and I will be lookin
for one; so glad for this thread so I know what to ask for.

That yellow MG . . . where do you buy that?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Arlene, I have one that is about 8 ft. now and it's yours if you want it. Not a good plant for Iowa without a working greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.