Show me Your Irises!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Iowaron,
.......... Beautiful color combo, I like it!

Kooger,
...............NOPE, 't will not work to claim regionality. I've shown horses across the USA and I am involved in the dairy industry. To us a flake is still a flake......er...hay that is ;~P

YUK YUK Yukka-dooo !

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Yup, it was a flake in MN,CA, and here in IA, a flake is a flake.

I really like those painted daisies Ron, been thinking about getting them for a couple of years, time to quit thinking and act! Lovely picture, so bright and cheering.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you for your kind words. I too have had enough winter and am ready for bloomtime again. Here's a pair of 'Rippling Waters' blooms to help take the chill off.
Iowaron

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's a close-up of Cloudless Sunrise..

Thumbnail by Starzz
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh what a thrill it is to see all these beautifull pictures of flower beds. Iowaron-----I know where you live! and i expect to get an upclose garden tour of your yard this spring! Absolutely fantastic!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

yeah right! I'd check for shovels at the gate if I was you ron! lol :)

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden anahi!! You can count on a tour of our gardens this Spring. So happy to have you on board the friendliest Garden Spot on the Internet.
Iowaron

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey, you're right ecobioangie,maybe a metal detector at the gate would be a good plan, at least until after the Master Gardener's Garden Tour comes through at the end of June. Oh but I'm sure that anahi will be coming over this Spring to help us get ready for the tour.
Iowaron

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

An unknown that came with the house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Another unknown that came with the house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Yep, another unknown that came with the house.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Kelli, your garden looks so wonderful. Do you have much lawn to interfere with your flowers? lol

No more than half of the yard that is flat enough to be lawn has grass. There was more than than when we moved here but we've been gradually encroaching into it. My husband likes to have some grass so I doubt that it will ever all go away. (What is it about guys and grass anyway?)

An unknown that belonged to my grandma.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Another unknown.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Batik

Thumbnail by Kelli

Blue It Up

Thumbnail by Kelli

Champagne Delight

Thumbnail by Kelli

Color Splash

Thumbnail by Kelli

Fort Apache

Thumbnail by Kelli

Jumping

Thumbnail by Kelli
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Oooh, I have Batik! I haven't seen it bloom yet. Is it as beautiful as it looks in your photo?

I also have one that looks like your Fort Apache. I got it in a yard sale. Mine is quite tall and mulitplies quicker than any other iris that I have. I've given bags of this iris away. Does yours have the same traits? I'll take a picture of it this summer and see if it's the same.

My Fort Apache may have died out but my unknown burgundy/pink has the properties that you describe. We're talking the iris that ate Los Angeles. :-)

And Batik is every bit as gorgeous, if not more so, than it is in the picture.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2004 12:23 PM

Lightning Streak

Thumbnail by Kelli

Pink Horizon

Thumbnail by Kelli

Point in Time

Thumbnail by Kelli

Ruffles and Lace

Thumbnail by Kelli

Shaft of Gold

Thumbnail by Kelli

Star Sailor

Thumbnail by Kelli

Victoria Falls

Thumbnail by Kelli
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Kelli, I also have Victoria Falls (as yet unbloomed). Is it a repeat bloomer for you?

Also, I thought we had to grow irises by themselves so the tubers could bake in the sun. You have yours surrounded by such beautiful flowers. What magic to you do so your irises don't go bye-bye.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey Kelli, snow is falling as I look out our window here in Iowa, but your beautiful Iris sure warm the heart and bring back the warmth of Spring! Thanks for sharing.
Iowaron

I don't know what it is that I do. Maybe it is that I do nothing. I water them once a week and thin them out every few years, and that's about it.

Victoria Falls is a rebloomer most of the time. I didn't rebloom this past fall but it needed to be thinned out.

For the most part, it is an illusion that the irises are surrounded by other flowers. For example, the geranium is probably two feet away from the Victoria Falls. The Star Sailor is surrounded by scarlet flax in that picture but the scarlet flax dies out by early summer.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Absolutely wonderful pictures! Thanks for the dose of good medicine this very chilly winter eve.

So anahi have you gone to the welcome mat yet?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

So that's what scarlet flax looks like. I've never seen it before. It's just beautiful.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

*pssst* pins2006...you got any more of that 'Fort Apache' that is on it's way to the compost bin? ;)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I especially love the Batik, Jumping and Fort Apache. Pins2006, you can 'dump' some of those Ft. A. rejects on me any time you want! :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Folks, just as soon as they come up I'll be dividing them. I just haven't been a labeller until this past fall.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Oh Kelli, they are so beautiful! I was going to ask about the red flowers with the pale blue Star Sailor Iris, but you already said they are scarlet flax. Nice color combo. I can hardly wait for some color besides white, white, white everywhere I look for miles. Your pictures are a real inspiration! What do you do with all the rhizomes when you thin them out? I would like to get in line for some cast offs.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Kelli, I was just going to ask you to send some of your burgandy/pinks over here before they swallow you up. I'll send you back Fort Apache. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.