Welcome!!

By popular request (http://davesgarden.com/showthread/40287.html ) I present to you the Disabled Gardeners' forum!

Best,
Dave

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks a lot Dave. I for one certainly need the knowledge of my fellow gardeners about everything but especially about these issues and needs.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Debi-Z In another post you mentioned breaking up work periods into 10-30 minute intervals. About two years ago when my knees starting going bad I was asked by my grandson what I wanted for Christmas and I told him and egg timer. I set it for 15 minutes of work time and then I do have the discipline to leave what Im doing and rest for 15. Then I go back to what I was doing or if too tiring I have a little list of needed things to do every morning. I approximate what time will be needed to do these little items and in these 15 minute intervals I can get one or two of them done and mark them off the list and go back to the harder jobs. Thw changing of jobs helps to move around doing different things which helps me from getting totally stiffned up amd I fel a real accomplishment when I look at my little list every evening. I keep a separate notebook for this tasking and just looking at it every once in awhile when i feel Im in a real place of forced inactivity because of pain and stiffness helps. If I have to just sit I get on the net and research seed saving or seed sowing or plants I want to grow and am unfamiliar with-I consider this a valid part of gardening too and feel I have accomplished something no matter how small.

Milford, NH

Dave...Thanks for starting this forum. My husband has spent almost 30 yrs in a wheelchair as a result of an accident. We had the opportunity to build a house and garden 6 years ago that are totally accessible. He does not actively garden but enjoys being in the garden. I am now dealing with a debiltating form of arthritis and am really pleased to hear more from other gardeners on how we can continue to pursue our passion.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

love the egg timer idea.now i need the disapline to use one.
i get started and dont want to stop.but my body does have the last word.

Knoxville, TN

Ok I am ready to use the egg timer trick,so how long do
i rest,do I walk around,if I sit down for very long
will I want to get back up ????
luv herblady

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

if your garden calls,youll want to get up.
youll have to work out how long you work,experiment.
my wife gave me a weird look when i told her 15 minutes,thought i couldnt do it,but it worked out ok.depends on what your doing.besides you dont have to listen if you still got juice to work.....now thats defeating the purpose,huh?.lol.

Knoxville, TN

Yes, I tryed and failed I don't think I took a long enought break,so i am paying for it now,All the way down the right hip to toes, I did sit down and rest,a whole 5 minutes.
I don't think 5 minutes is long enought,so now I am going to doctor to get new lower back ,brace and set up some caudle blocks. So back to square one.
luv herblady

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh goodness, we are hardcore garden addicts. If you garden 15 minutes, rest 15 minutes! Of course, that gem of advice comes from someone whose knees are screaming, and I used BOTH of the kneeling pads, one on top of the other. maybe if i get a couple more - oh shoot, then I won't be able to reach the ground!!
I am putting newspaper between the rows in the veggie garden. I leave them outside for awhile so they get rained on, fogged one, dewed on and are at least very damp if not out and out wet. We'll see how it goes.
Herblady, take good care. And everybody else do the same!

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

come inside and play on the computer for awhile while your resting.come here and talk.
i usually have a glass of ice water,and a fan blowing to cool my perpetually hot body while im resting.
i waited so long for summer,im not complaining about the heat now.

Knoxville, TN

ok ,I am going to try really hard to rest 15 minutes ,and I will try to come inside and look around on the puter,
I got my back back,good old Celabrex and lots of TLC
luv herblady

Hi all,thanks Dave for this forum'''I joined yesterday and have been reading and learning soooo much' Now, I do feel at home and know I can relate things to people who listen and don't judge'' Sis''

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.