collecting coral vine seeds? drying seeds?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

there's a coral vine growing in my yard (not actually my plant, but it's my grandmother's) and it's got seeds all over it
how can i tell if/when they're ready to collect?

also, i've got a quick question about seed drying methods?
i know it's probably a bad idea, but i feel the need to ask anyway..
i've got a food dehydrator, and i was just wondering if i could use that, on a very low setting, to dry seeds?

-Kim

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

miss_kitty
i would not recommend using the food dehydrator. it might dry the seed completly out and wont germinate. i dont know how you tell when the coral vine would be ready because i havent had the pleasure of growing this vine but if you would like to trade i would love some please i know that someone will help you on this that have grew it and dried the seeds i think the best way to dry seeds is just put them on a paper plate and let them dry for a few days or in a paper bag. i hope you have good luck with them
moretz

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

well, since i dont have any idea if i'm doing this correctly, i wouldnt feel comfortable with doing a trade for them at this time
BUT.. if you want some, and you're willing to take the chance that they might not be viable... you can send me a SASE, email me

-Kim

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

miss_kitty
i emailed u
moretz

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The coral vine seeds will be brown and the covering will be papery like..They have to be fully dry..I'm in swGA & frost got mine last night.. The seeds were still all green..At least I have some extras, in case my vine gets killed this year. It dies back to the ground and over the years I have lost a few to extreme cold, which we only have every few years here.
Larkie

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

miss_kitty
i sent my SASE out to you today thanks for sharing
moretz

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

thanks Larkie :)
all of the ones i've collected so far are brown and dry..
they look like "done" seeds to me, but i suppose we'll only know if/when they grow :)

Kim

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

miss_kitty
what color are these? and do you know the botanical name for them? plmk
moretz

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

they're pink
uhm.. Antigonon leptopus
in the plants database :)

-Kim

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Miss Kitty -- Do you have any seeds left? I have been looking for one of these plants for a while. Thanks! Gretchen

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

i've got about 10 seeds left in the house..and i'm gonna want to keep probably atleast 5 for myself
there's still a bunch on the vine, though..
if the cold weather doesnt hamper seed-production (it's supposed to get down to 34 tonight) then i should have an adequate supply to send out :)
just email me :)
though.. i'm not making any guarantees or anything..
these are the first seeds i've ever collected off of anything and i cant guarantee that they will actually grow, though i cant really see any reason why they *wouldnt* grow...

:)

-Kim

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

You have mail at the mail call... :)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Miss_Kitty, do you have any seeds left of that Antigonon leptopus>? Here I was thinking they were Erythrina herbacea.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

no, buttoneer, i dont
sorry..
they're all gone for this season, but i'll have lots more next year because i'll be way way way more efficient about my seed collecting
if you want, i can send you some next year.. or maybe even a seedling or two..

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds great! Just remind me. Or should I put it in my calendar? When should I contact you again on this? Thanks.
Maybe by that time, I might have some Solanum mammosum seeds to trade. Wish me luck.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

well, the vine blooms in the summer..
so i'll not have any seeds before late summer for sure
i might have some volunteer seedlings before then that i could send you a few of, though

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll pay your postage. Just let me know when the "volunteers" are up & running. Thanks.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Buttoneer,
I have some, not sure if they're viable, I got them in a trade last summer and didn't start any, yet. If you want a few to try, send me a SASE. They have been kept in the fridge, so hopefully they're still good. I am hoping to start some myself this spring.
Deb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just found this thread...is there anything special you have to do to the seed (coral vine) before sowing?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

not that i'm aware of...
you might want to nick and soak them in water for 24 hours before planting..
but that's all i can think of, and i dont really think that's necessary....

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you miss_kitty...I've only got 6 seeds so am hoping one or two will germinate! If you collect them next fall can I SASE some from you?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

sure
hopefully i'll have better germination rates than last year..
it seems like most of the ones i sased out didnt germinate...
but the ones i started here did
kinda weird
but i spose there's no way to guarantee germination..
maybe i'll try hand pollination
lol

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:) Thank you...I'll make a note on my calendar.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

just remind me when it's that time of year again..
so i dont forget
hehe

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ok! :)

Tucson, AZ

Hey miss_kitty, were you ever able to propagate a coral vine from seed? I would love to start one, and I am haunting the neighbor's fence line for seeds, and wondering if I could grow one this way. Just wondered how much success you had and what tips you had to share.

Carla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.