My converted breezeway

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have been most concerned about that! LOL! I can just see the headlines, "Woman found in garden-room jungle mumbling something about being lost!" I will be glad to take lots of that excess off your hands when it can be shipped without freezing it's little roots off! LOL!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Well when you see those headlines you had better make a mad dash for Michigan to collect all those plants.
My sons will be putting them out by the sides of the road I am sure!!!! I can't quite envision them becoming gardeners. (actually its a pretty funny scene to imagine)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Michigan, here I come! Always wanted to go to Michigan but guess this is a serious trip in the truck and not a pleasure thingie!!!!

You will be lucky if they put them by the side of the road and not in the trash! My son has never seen the need for all the plants that I have either. As long as DH likes them enough to tolerate them that is all that I need. None in my family is as nutty as I am over them though. They probably think I am a bit "teched in the head" but don't try to stop me from having my simple pleasures with the plants. Sometimes the thing does get out of hand, I must admit. My all comsuming passion winds up causing a lot of problems like where in the world will I get poor long suffering DH to dig a new bed or bunches of new beds.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Quit digging I am convinced that above the ground is the way to go. I do have the advantage of the free stuff from the city, but I did do a bed last year out of very find bark mulch, peat, a little perlite, a little sand, and some very cheap top soil. It worked out really well. I all most killed myself digging it out inpreparation but it was worth it and everything I put in there (including some half dead stuff I bought on sale) did really well. I also used it as a seed starting bed by making small trenches and filling with starter soil. (according to what I had read if you did that as the roots developed and went into the other mixture they would not know the diffence) It must be true because I think every seed I put in directly to that bed sprouted. I had to thin that little spot about 4 times (grandchildren had helped plant those seeds and they might have gotten them a little close)
But anyway the above ground beds Wanda tells me also get warmer faster in the spring so I am really excited about that.
When I made mine last year I lined them all with the black liner that you use as weed barrier, and I put it up all the way to the top edges so that I would not have to worry about leaking dirt through the sides of the timbers. I will find out this year if that theory worked or not.
The door is always open here at the Knapp Motel and Grill! There is always dirt to dig in, seeds to play with, plants to move and DSL internet access, what more could anyone want in life!
Well I do have a refrigerator and stove as well as bathroom facilities!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.