Clonex is this a good rooting hormone?

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

My dear sweet brother gave me this rooting liquid is it good ? i can see he paid 21.99 for100 ml kind of pricey, so it better be good , any way how do i use it?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

what is the active ingredient in it?

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I love it! I must have done a hundred cuttings for the springswap this year and just about everything made it.
You are only supposed to touch the cut end to it so it will last a long time.
Kris

Rescue, CA(Zone 9b)

I have found in general that the liquid tends to work a bit better than powder. You use so little with the liquid that it lasts quite a long time.
PAUL

California, MD(Zone 7a)

Did y'all know?

You can use Rumford's Baking Powder and achieve the same results and it's a darned site cheaper. Don't try it with other baking powders though. Most of them won't work.

HAGD

Bob

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Why is Rumford Baking Powder different than the others on the market? What makes it special? Does it work with all types of propagation?

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

I'm going to be watching this one on the baking powder!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

http://waltonfeed.com/rumford.html

California, MD(Zone 7a)

If the site from MVR did not answer your questions, I will keep researching it. All I know is that it works. I had almost 100% with it.

Here are some more dips:

http://www.granitehydro.com/aids/roothorm.htm

Very interesting and informative articles MaVieRose and E-Bob! Most definitely, Rumford's Baking Powder is A LOT CHEAPER than commercially available rooting hormones!! Have either of you tried different varieties of stem cuttings to see if they could be propagated successfully with Rumford's Baking Powder? Any soft or hard woods that were more "challenging" to root than others? Did you have 100% germination with this Baking Powder?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know if Rumsford is available in the midwest?
I went to a couple of stores today and either one of them had it.

Paul

California, MD(Zone 7a)

Food Lion and Giant and Safeway have it here in MD. Don't know about out there.

I learned about it from an older fella (82 years old) from South Carolina who has been planting and propagating for over 70 years, as did his dad before him. He worked for NC state grounds and maintenance for years and retired from there.

Like I said, I had almost 100%, but you won't get 100% with ANY rooting hormone.

Just dip the cutting in water, shake the excess off, dip in the Rumford's and put in your propagation tray. I use mist propagation in the Spring. I know that hard cuttings grow hardier plants, but I prefer the other method. If I DID do hard cuttings, I'd go to Wal*Mart and buy those cheap heating pads for soil warmers. The commercial ones are too, too pricey. I'd adjust the soil temperature with thicker or thinner layer of cardboard/pasteboard.

I'm stingy, you see! Hahahaaaaa!

This message was edited Jan 20, 2004 10:17 AM

I DEFINITELY have to try Rumford's Baking Powder and see for myself! It seems almost too good to be true!! It will definitely save a bundle of cash $$$.

Isn't Safeway located in the mid-West? Giant Food is not. Not sure about Food Lion.

Valley Village, CA

Y'all know that I propagate at the Huntington Gardens, they have never used any of that stuff, we do it the old fashioned way. Let the cuts dry for a day, or even less, put directly into dry soil and wait a week then water. We make choices according to the plant.
I have taken 100 leaves off an Aeonium tabulformis and get about a 65%+ success rate. Which amazes me. Timing is important, only try this in cool weather. Norma

California, MD(Zone 7a)

double post.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2004 9:06 AM

California, MD(Zone 7a)

BOY!, C2... that's cheaper yet. I suppose I will try that and see what happens. Do you do ALL scions that way? What is a detailed description of this method? I haven't seen it in searches. They all recommend some sort of hormone.

BTW, I found these Aeoniums in the plant list but they did not list a "tabulformis" or a "tabulaeformis" in the "Plant List" at Horticopia.

Aeonium arboreum
Aeonium haworthii
Aeonium urbicum

Where would I find this plant? I cannot even find a Common Name for it. Is it new? Inquiring mind wants to know! ;o) :o)

Thanks.

Bob

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Bob... here is Aeonium Tabulaeforme

Very unusual low growing succulent with large rosettes [ the size of a big platter] , leaves lime green, branching flower yellow in color. Rosette dies after flowering but will self seed. Native to the Canary Islands. Protect from frost.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose
California, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmmmm... is this thing an edible plant? Do you, perhaps, if it isn't a lot of trouble, have a picture of the whole plant... or is that it? Why, when I type Aeonium Tabulaeforme into my browser, is it that nothing comes up?

But I did find this:

AEONIUM (Crassulaceae)- arboreum; arboreum nigrum; glutinosum; tabulaeformis; urbicum; virgineum;

... under, I THINK, succulents or cacti (???) It was in French or some other distant language so I couldn't make any of it out very well.

Are they viable only in warm climates or would they grow outside in zone 7b, Southern Maryland? Or do they need to be inside. Are they treated, maybe, as a cactus... meaning, do they need very little water and grow in sandy soil?

Just full of questions, ain't I? It's just that something so elusive is intriguing.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2004 9:07 AM

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

According to my Amer Hort Soc A-Z Ency of Garden Plants:

Aeonium tabuliforme: syn. A. bertoletianum Sempervivum complanatum. Biennial or perennial succulent with very short, unbranched stems bearing plate-like rosettes, to 20 in across, of many spoon-shaped, bright green leaves, to 10 in long, margined with fine hairs. Yellow flowers are produced in large panicles, 12 in or more long in spring. 3-4 in h, spread to 20 in. Canary Islands min 50 degrees F/10 C.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

LimeyLisa Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.