A Hardy Fuchsia?????????????

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

I have heard of a hardy fuchsia but I have never seen these but I just love the annual ones and if there really is a hardy one and you have one please email me about it! Thanks Tracy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, indeedy, I have a couple of different hardy ones. I think I am on the borderline for them though. I have a red/purple one and I have seen a two toned pink one here too. They grow very large and woody. The blooms are considerably smaller than the hybridized hanging basket kind. But a nice shrub nonetheless.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

The only hardy fuchsia I'm familiar with is Fuchsia magellanica and believe that there are a number of cultivars. Their natural habitat is Chile/Peru and I only wish I could grow them here but know they won't succeed with the humidity or very high temps. They do die down in winter but emerge again in the Spring in colder areas but there again don't know that they would stand very cold temps. The Pacific Northwest seems to be the ideal climate. Still...I may get round to trying a couple out as long as I can find a shady, moist spot for them. Joann your conditions should be ideal but as for Arizona and the heat...not too sure about that. I have never seen them growing here in Virginia or offered up for sale except for the non-hardy basket ones.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

They sell them around here as "Hardy"but I have never had one come back up in the spring.....

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

The one I alluded to is a shrub by the way and some cultivars grow very tall and wide. I used to cut them back in the spring and the new growth emerged quite late in the season. (I'm talking about my home/garden in England of course). In colder areas a good deep mulch and winter protection has to be implemented. If anyone has any luck with their efforts it would be good to know. :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I remember woodspirit1 posting about a fuchsia that is hardy (I think)... she's in zone 6 or 7 not far from me.
http://davesgarden.com/t/288980/

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

Just seen another picture of theis and I would love to get some cuttings or even maybe a rooted start (fingers crossed) of this beauty! tracy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have seen Gartenmeister grown here quite often but only as a protected plant. It is not hardy here either. I would be glad to take cuttings of the one I have this spring.So bloomluver just remind me. I will take several. Maybe an extra for Louisa.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

:-) Yea - my benefactor!!!

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

That would be super!!!! Thanks I will remind you in the spring! Thanks Tracy

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1977/
I bought this plant towards the end of August and the grower told me he had overwintered them 2 years. I'll let you know in spring if mine makes it. I mulched them heavily in hopes that it would help.
The flowers were more orange than they look in the picture posted.
I would be glad to try to get cuttings in the spring if it makes it through the winter.

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

aknapp, Where did you buy your plant. I would like to know also if it overwinters for you. I love red-orange flowers. Thank you, Sandy

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

hugeposiepatch
I bought it here in Dowagiac, and I know he had at least a couple more plants. I bought 3 all together I bought the first one when it was still blooming quite well and then went back later and got 2 more. I put them in 3 different spots in my gardens hoping for the best.
If they come through okay I would be glad to try to get cuttings in the spring.
If my 3 make it then I should be able to supply seeds and/or cuttings to anyone who wants them, the first one I bought did produce some seed that was pretty easy to find, but I have all ready traded it away.
If you remind me in the spring I will be glad to see what I can do to get you some.
Alice

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

aknapp,

That is so nice of you! Thank you so much! I will remember to remind you. Thank you, Sandy

Olympia, WA

One caution - deer LOVE that hardy fuchsia - and so it is that I never have to prune mine - here in rural WA.

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Hello All

I live in Ireland (move from England) and there are many hardy fuchsia. I have grown Mrs Popple, Tom Thumb and at present have Genii which has yellow leaves and small red/purple flowers. These are just a few hardy ones off the top of my head and all die back in winter and appear again in spring. I think my zone is 8a but we do get heavy frost and snow but they cope well with that. Having said that, my Genii has not died back, still has some leaves and is sprouting new shoots on the stems which means that it will be twice the size this year. Hope this helps.

Sue

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Fushia. This is a plant that I really like but I cannot seem to grow it well. Last year a lot of the leaves fell off and it just looked bad. Any tips. I had it in a regular hanging basket in partial shade. Does it need lots of water?
Teresa

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Bluegrass, I believe that the hanging fuchsias are not hardy and people tend to take cuttings of them for the following year. Perhaps it would be good to put it in a greenhouse. The hardy fushcias do lose their leaves and are cut back to the ground where they regrow in spring from the base of the plant. In very cold areas a mulch would be beneficial.

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.