plum tree-loaded!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

This is one of 3 trees. they were just loaded this yr-sold 20 bushels! We have one tree that was the same as this-it got ran over and then half were this kind and half were a smaller yellow(like the kind when i was a child)this yr we still have half small yellows and now the other half were solid red and heart shaped-totally different from the originals!!! I just love that tree-ant the new plums are so tastey!

Thumbnail by notmartha
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Man, those look luscious! That's the kind of fruit tree I want for my next yard.

Do you spray it, and if so, when and with what?

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I got some off shoots from a damson plum tree at a friend's house. Hope I can get some growing. But it will take me a few years to get the results you have pictured above. and really I guess damsons are more for jellies and jams.
What kind of plums are these?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

MMMMmmmmmmmm,they look soooo good,

I don't seem to have any luck with them...everytime I plant one someone runs it over or a creature eats eat....its my dream to have plums like that.......

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have no idea what kind they are-we got them FREE from myhusbands Uncle.

My Dh sprays them with Captain(fungiscide) and Imidan(is the bug killer)He sprays every seven -ten days depending on the weather.

Oh they were yummy to the tummy!

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Just ran across this post. Any recent pictures? Still growing strong? Thanks, Mike

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My plums were toast from the April freeze...peaches too except a few late blooms.
Plums seem so prone to brown rot unless you have a good fungicide or something.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Too bad. I am loosing a nectarine tree to something. Looks like brown rot from a picture I saw of the leaves, but the fruit does not look like the photos I saw. Such a wierd, wet year for Texas and not much time for spraying. Next year I probably will not do a garden so that I can concentrate more on the fruit trees.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We have NO fruit on these trees this yr and are battling with a fungus that keeps coming back!! most of the fruit trees-peaches apricot and nectarines lost their blossoms this spring with a late frost!! next yr!!!!!!!!!!

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

That is a shame. I printed off the picture of your plum tree and showed it to my wife. It looked so good. I read the description of brown rot again and am convinced that I have it. I guess that I need to prune off the pitted limbs and spray with a fungicide every ten days and hope for next year. Good luck to ya'll, Mike

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a green gage plum that is young but has tons of fruit on it
I have no idea if green gage even taste good

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Sympathies on the frost!

It got my cherries and plums, but the nectarines pulled through.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Crestedchick, you probably know by now but green gage plums are one of the finest. Very, very sweet. I remember my mother saying how much she loved green gage plum jam. I have planted one but it isn't old enough to bear fruit yet. I hope it will be by next year, though.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Nope,I don't know how they taste yet
They are all still green

do they stay green?
They are smaller than what ever plums are in the stores

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

The plums in stores are probably Japanese plums.

Green Gage is a European plum, like a Stanley, the prune plum.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

does it turn purple?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Green gage plums do not turn purple, but when you taste them you won't mind. Green gage goes back centuries and has been prized for that long. For my taste, they are sweeter than Asian plums and better for eating raw. Asian plums are tart and good for cooking, preserves, etc. This is just me. I don't know what others thinks. But green gage is good for jam and other recipes too. It is just that it is sweet right off the tree. European plums that I know are all sweeter than Asian plums. But there is a use for tart plums in many recipes.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

That is a beautiful plum tree! I wish I could reach through the computer and grab one.

I'm on a mission to find a real sweet yellow plum. I want yellow, since I already have 2 blue/purple. My Italian plum is delicious and loaded but not ready to pick yet. My other is a Stanley that I just planted last year. Does anyone know how Stanley taste? My apricot tree was loaded this year and I made 28 jars of jam. It hasn't produced much in the past because of freezes.

If anyone has a good recommendation for a yellow plum that you have tasted and like, please let me know. DM

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Green Gage plums are at my supermarket right now and sell for $2 per lb. They have always been one of my favorites. I can only imagine how good they are when tree ripened.
NotMartha --- Wish you were my neighbor. They look fantastc!!! Then again we can't grow plums down here....

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Shiro is a yellow plum, but it's a Japanese plum, it needs another Japanese plum for pollination.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My county extension agent recommends Stanley plum after trials here in New Mexico. I haven't tried it, but if I find a place for another tree, Stanley may very well go there.
There is also a yellow gage plum which dates back to France a century or more ago. I think they are available at various mail order nurseries but I found one at Raintree:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=C055

This one is self fruitful. I suspect you will find yellow gage at other nurseries as well.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Raintree is great!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

LTilton and Pajaritomt: Thanks for the names of yellow plums. I will keep them in mind. The yellow gage sounds good tasting.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi all you plum experts (and others too). I have 2 Japanese plums in pots, a Methley semi dwarf and a Stark Delicious dwarf. After our new house is built, they will be planted. We are in 7B, just N of Raleigh NC.
My real problem, I think, will be deer and rabbits. I know I'll have to spray fungicide and some moth killer (unless you organic folks have a suggestion).

Does anyone know if deer love plum trees ? A rabbit already ate some bark off the Methley while still in the pot. I want to know what fencing effort I will need to make.

All I know about plums now is the fun times eating the wild ones in Augusta GA when I was a kid (loooong ago).
Thanks,
Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes deer do like plums!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am not a plum expert, but I can tell you that deer do like plums. In fact they seem to like all the fruit trees that I know of except I am not sure about pears. They have never eaten my pears. My neighbors have two plum trees and the deer come through and eat leaves etc. Once the tree reaches a certain size, however they can't reach them any more. They get lots of plums from their trees even with the deer taking what they can reach. Maybe a deer fence would be in order until they get tall.
I looked up the Methely plum. Self fertile. Sounds like a great plum. Couldn't find much on the other one.
Don't know about spraying. We don't have to do much of that here in New Mexico.

(Cathy), MO

I have a combination plum tree. Stanley and Shiro. Apparently the Stanley pollinates the yellow Shiro, cause I had 7 Shiros last year. (Just planted them the fall before) The freeze got them this year. But the Shiro was the most delicious plum I've ever eaten. So sweet!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear about the shiro being sweet. I have never tasted them, but I think of Japanese plums as being sour. But maybe that is only because of the ones they sell in the supermarket, probably picked too early.

(Cathy), MO

I don't know about the rest of the Japanese plums, but Shiro is definately sweet. Can't wait until next year. Maybe I can get a bigger crop of them!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't think the Stanley can pollinate the Shiro, because one is a European plum and the other Asian.

Stanley is self fertile, and most Asian plums aren't - except for Shiro. But they say it will be better if there is another Asian plum.

Here is a pollination chart for Asian plums from Raintree. http://www.raintreenursery.com/pollination_plums_asian.htm

I got a 4-in-1 combination plum from this this year, and I've been defending it assiduously from the onslaught of the Japanese beetles, since there is only one branch of each variety. The idea is successive pollination of all varieties.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have looked at those 4 in 1's but right now have only one green gage. I have a place which I may decide to use for plums later on. My neighbors across the street have an Asian plum which is badly in need of a pollinator, but I don't know if Shiro will do it. I'm not read to decide yet anyhow. So I keep researching possible replacements for a cherry tree I have which I think was too root bound when I bought it several years ago and doesn't look as if it is going to come out of it. Besides, I wouldn't mind having another plum, I already have 2 cherries in addition to the non-growing one.
I have a 4 in one pear which is doing well, but it takes forever for a pear tree to bear.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I t hink the combos are a good idea for people with limited room for trees, because you can get your cross-pollination on a single trrunk. But I also have a plumcot that ought to pollinate plums, altho isn't supposed to bear here because it's too cold - except that I'm counting on global warming.

Shiro is one of the varieties on my combo tree, and I'm looking forward to it.

(Cathy), MO

Where do most of you get your combination trees? Order them online or at a nursery?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I only have this one combo plum, ordered it online from Raintree.

(Cathy), MO

I ordered 3 combos from Stark Bros. A 2 in 1 plum, 2 in 1 pear and a 5 in 1 apple. I've ordered trees and berries from them for several years. Always get good products

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I've also ordered from Stark's, but Raintree has varieties that Stark's doesn't.

(Cathy), MO

I know. I ordered a mini apple tree from Raintree this spring. Put it in a big pot on the deck and it's doing great. I'm thinking I may get another variety next spring. I need to buy stock in these mail order companies, as much as I order!!!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Raintree's customer service is also great - they'll tell you if a given variety isn't a good fit for the other side of the country.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have bought trees from Stark's but I do prefer the selection at Raintree. They really scout for good trees for home growers. I got my 4 in 1 pear from Raintree. Another good one is Bay Laurel Nurseries in California. I get most of my info from the Seed Savers' Exchange's Fruit and Nut Inventory.

Olympia, WA

Let me add my voice to the Shiro crowd. It is a WONDERFUL plum. One place described it as ridiculously juicy! Provide towels or bibs - otherwise it ends up on your chin and your clothing.

I have two Shiros - and they are only marginally self-fruitful. As others have noted, it really needs a pollinator. I will be getting one this year. It is so worthwhile!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.