Hey Jul! Trombocino hint-info?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welp, they did good! Planted out the seeds you sent (later than "normal" around here) and still ended up getting a couple nice fruits! Was mainly growing them for the seeds for next yr but also hope to get a sample taste this yr.

The weather folks are calling for possibly mid-20's tonite so I reckon I'm gonna hafta go pick the squash. This one is about 34". Can I still comfortably eat it? (I remember you saying they can be olive-oiled and grilled/baked?)

Any recipe hints you may have to share? (Or do I just harvest this one for the seed?)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And this one?

Perhaps a "baker"?

Bigtime thanks for the seeds, Jul! I really enjoyed growing these!

H.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Nice squash, Shoe, I can't wait to try mine. It looks like these fit into the Fun With Vegies category!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep Mary....very fun!

I'll share seeds with ya if you need some (hopefully I'll get some from these babies!).

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Picked! This pick gives a better perspective of the size of these babies!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

WOW! those are good harvest Shoe :)! if not over matured, they are good to sautee with pork or shirmp, garlic, onions and tomatoes. since gourds are watery when cooked, i normally add some glass noodles in the mix too ;)!

would appreciate if u can share some seeds. i have always longed to grow gourd for food.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I thought you'd like those. Was gonna put some seed in the box when I send your Brug cuttings, okay?

Technically (I think) they are considered a squash, but not sure. I was hoping these would be something you'd want.

These are also a more firm fleshed gourd/squash. I think Jul recommends olive oil and garlic, then either grilled or baked. I'm sure I'll try them different ways. (Just look out much food is in ONE of them!) They also took very cool temperatures w/out any trouble, until it got to 30*. (It handled upper 30's very good.)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Shoe :). never the less, where i came from we call them gourd. the way i cook them. peel them. cut into disks, about 1/4" thick. cut the disks in half. cut across about 1/4", u'll come up with almost julienned pieces.

lightly brown 5 cloves of garlic [roughly chopped] in 2 tbsp. olive oil. add onion slices, sauté a few minutes till the onion is sautéed, then add tomatoes. this time u can add either pork/shrimp [depending on ur preference, or can add both]. when pork/shrimp is sautéed. add the gourd.

if and when there is too much juice from the gourd, i add glass noodles that has been presoaked. allow glass noodles to absorb most of the juice. season with salt and pepper to taste.

that size gourd can be cooked into different dishes. sometimes, we boil beef shanks with ginger, onions, black pepper corn and a bay leaf till it get meat is softened. then cut chunks of the gourd, add to the meat, and some green onions and Italian parsley leaves towards the end of the cooking for extra flavor. either way u cook it, it is delicious.

after so many months, we finally got rain!!! a nice easy day to get organized around here. specially after the fire, when stuff got messed around being in a hurry to pack and be safe.

Shoe would u be interested in Kabooka squash seeds? the fruit is nice and very nutty. u can sauté or baked in the oven. it is very sweet. i got lots of seeds i saved. this one is one of my favorite.

basing from common sense, where i came from gourds are considered to grow long on a vine that grows on trellises, whereas squash vine grows on the ground. the fruit is round and has sections around it. i hope i am making sense as i do not know how else to explain.

TIA Shoe :)!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You are making me HONGRY!...that's my kind of eating!

Thanks! By the way, is the beef shank recipe one where you use your roasted pepper corn? (I'm going to bulk store this week.)

Will be in touch soon, via email.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

am hungry myself LOL! too busy straightening the house.

no, roasted pepper corns are only use for grinding pepper in pepper mill. regular pepper corn we use in cooking like for boiled meat. and other dishes that require pepper corn for cooking.

if u like pig's feet or pig's legs. boil that with onions, pepper corn and bay leaf. simmer in low fire for an hour and half. once the meat or skin is soft, add cabbage, potatoes, green onions and Italian parsley.

get a small saucer, fill with soy sauce, and 1/2 of a lemon, squirt the juice on the soy sauce, dunk the boiled meat. this can be use for the boiled beef shank or pig's feet or leg.

another good sauce for boiled meat: crush 1 clove of garlic in small saucer, pour about 2 tbsp of soy sauce.

simple and easy dishes to prepare. the dunking sauce makes a lot of difference in the boiled dishes. enjoy!!!

Lancaster, CA

Hi All,

I'm joining in on this discussion late but I wanted to stick my bit in, in favor of this squash. The best part in my opinion is that it can be both a summer OR winter squash. If you allow it to stay on the vine past the green stage they start to yellow, eventually they turn a beige/pale gold color and the outer skin starts to cure. When the outer skin is hard like a pumpkin you can harvest and they will keep indoors as a center piece for at least 3 months, probably longer in proper storage. The flesh is more orange in the mature fruit and best baked in my opinion.

Thanks for the recipes guys!!

Chris

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Chris!

I tried some last nite. And you're right, the long skinny one is a pale yellow-ish color and the curly one is still greenish (guess it was still wanted to keep on growing!).

I sliced some of the long one and cooked a bit in some olive oil and garlic...very tasty! And (since I was frying up some chicken wings) I battered some more pieces and fried them in the hot oil. Also tasty (but I prefer the olive oil/garlic flavor better)!

Maybe tonite I'll bake some (gonna be super cold here tonite and that's when I like to use the oven)!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Shoe ,did you get seeds? mabbe we can trade??
shirley

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Scooter...I got seeds from the curly one!

Right now they are involved in a germination test. (Wet paper towels.) Some of the seeds didn't really fill out well so I'm gonna see how many of them (in the test) will germinate.

Will keep you in mind and let you know what the results are.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Scooterbug, I have about 10 seeds. If your interested send me your address. I grew these last year and they were wonderful, but just too big for my yard (took over the apricot tree).

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

i can't believe that i have never joined this discussion(vegetables) before now. you guys have some great recipes!!! i love those squash/gourds??? will they grow in zone 5a and does anyone here know where i can get some seeds?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

nicksgranny...

I'm sorry I just now got back to this thread...quite a bit too late to send you seeds, eh? (I was searching for recipes for these babies again!)

I realise it is probably too late for you to plant now but if you remind me later in the season I'll be more'n happy to send you seeds for next year. (If you think you have time to set some out, holler now...I planted mine late last year and they came on in around 50 days or so, if my memory is right.)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hello!
How did I miss this thread???

Shoe or Kathy~ Would you be so kind as to share some seeds, and growing tips?

Great recipes too!

Tamara

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'll have plenty of seeds for next year...these things are growing like kudzu around here this year! We've grilled 'em, sautee'd them, put them in hoboes, etc. Some are huge!!! (Just to see how big they get!)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Tamara, I have a few seeds left in a package and you are more than welcome to them if you email me your address.

I grew them last year and loved them, but, I have a small yard and they grew very large, up, up into our apricot tree. The neighbors were wondering what was the strange things growing 20' in the tree. Cutting them down was a lot of work.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Kathy, you have mail =-)

I've always wanted to say that...

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey shoe look. I got one. Lots more babies coming on too.

Thumbnail by mystic
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You're gonna get plenty of 'em! Mine are growing like kudzu here!

Luv it!

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Shoe? Mystic? How come your pics aren't in the PlantFiles? *hint* :)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/102362/index.html

I've been wanting to try this one out, and have been chatting with a friend who may have seeds to share this fall.

*smiling*
Donna

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Tutti.... ;>)

Actually I have pics in Plant Files. At the time I put them there (2003) they still were in under the name "Rampicante" as well as other 'common' names.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56773/index.html

Now it appears it is in there twice now, under two different headings.

Oops! I think I'm confused... not an uncommon state for me. ;) One is listed as a summer squash and the other as a winter squash, yet both are Cucurbita moschata.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is actually a winter squash akin to butternut and neck pumpkin. But they can be used as summer squash. As can butternut.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2005 11:54 AM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, Tutti, it can be confusing when using nicknames like "climbing zuchinni", "trombocino/tromboncino" (although I first learned of it as Trombocino, the Italian common name).

I can edit my description in Plant Files to add more info there but am wondering if one of the entries should be removed? If so, I'll wait and see which one stays.

I've been puzzling over this on and off all day, trying to gather information from articles in google searches and in checking botanical names from different seed companies. It was the least I could do after stirring up the pot! Unfortunately, I only managed to go around in circles with no clear answer on the horizon. In the back of my mind, I wonder whether we're dealing with a cultivar or a sub-species of Cucurbita moschata.

If there is only one cultivar, then it seems the two PlantFiles entries could be merged into one; choosing winter vs summer squash could be based on how it is used most commonly as any comments can/could clarify that.

I apologize for taking this thread a bit off-topic; I didn't plan or foresee that in my initial post. I mostly think it would be a blast to grow! :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Shoe counted ten tonight.Ernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Tutti/Donna...never fear, I don't think you stirred up any pot, nor did you take thread off topic. I remember "going around in circles" several yrs ago when trying to figure out where to put my pictures. The "rampicante" in PF was there and Trombocino wasn't so had to put it there, or rather chose to rather than make a second one.

I don't know where the cultivar name ( Tromba d'Albenga) came from or who entered it. Personally, I don't know if I'm growing Tromba d'Albenga...when I got seeds from Pinetree to back up some of my original seed stock their pkg label simply said "Zucchetta Rampicante-Tromboncino"...wonder if "Tromboncino" is referring to a cultivar?

And yes, it IS fun to grow! Hope you grow some next year!

Congrats, Ernie! If you can grow it there I'm sure Tutti will also be able to!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Shoe don't you dare give her seeds she grew onions bigger than mine and I have no intention of giving way to a girl lol and have her grow a bigger squash to ha ha.Ernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you better grow your Trombo's as big as you can this year then, Ernie! Better get a head start on her, eh?

Now who is the one growing Ailsa Craig onions this year, Ernie? Not me! ;)

While SO1 is not a fan of summer squash (except in sweet relish or squash bread), he is as intrigued as I am about growing the T-squash next year and trying it in both the immature as well as fully stages. We'll figure out how to get seeds. lol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Shoe picked one tonight 32 inches long two inches in dia about five in circumfrence hmm somethings wrong with that picture but I was not reading the tape 2 times 3.1417 is not 5 lol well anyway it was big enough to eat. I gave it to a frend who is a retired market gardener and he loved it especially when I held it above my head like a halo lol. Judging from your pic yours was bigger in circumference is 34 inches as long as they grow and just grow fatter after that?

To defend my growing honor I may have to grow one next year in a cow lick tub and put it out side after it is well started . Im thinking if I timed it right I could get it out two feet high that should give me an edge against Miss Tutti queen of the Walla wallas. Ernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Congrats, ernie. Sorry you didn't sample it though but am glad your neighbor liked it! You'll get more coming on and can sample many of those though!

If you and Tutti are gonna be in a competition next year, hmmm....lemme show ya what fun you can have:

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

No way I saw her onions lol. Yes I will sample some soon . You said they stay tender when they get big do they keep? I just brought in the forth wheel barrow of onions this one is red burger master. Some how I did not plant Copra I guess I will be onionless except the freezer or dehydrated ones by xmas. Lol I will have squash though did you get the Amber cup and Autum Cup going? I will have those plus,butternut,Sweetmeat,and acorn along with the t squash if they keep at all otherwise I better start chomping or giving.Ernie ps next year I will trelise for sure would have this year but lost the plant till it declared itself.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

shoe they are still growing though the weather is turning . Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.