Blue Silk Morning Glory Help

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I thought since this forum was more plant specific that I would ask over here.....Do any of you have an outlet for seeds/plants of the Blue Silk MG? A friend talked to me about this one and after I saw its picture, I was hooked. I spent two hours online looking for seeds and couldn't find them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Shirley

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

your guess is as good as ours. i have asked this one before and didnt get good hits. everyone keeps refering me to parks that i have talked too. they dont sell it anymore due to ppoor sed germination. i think maybe someone over seas might sell it but here in the usa not. sorry but i have been hunting it for a year now and no luck. imzadi

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I didn't know it would be that far out of reach. What a shame. It is beautiful.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Ms Brugie... I dont know if this is the one you are talking about? http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gardgal/msg0920063615027.html
BUT... seems this one is a Japanese MG. Akatsuki No Umi
Hopefully there will be another Jp MG co-op.. heres what lead me to finding it. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/gal0114582723515.html

Hope this is the one.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Could this be the one you mean?

http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=463366

I got Rose Silk from Park's for next year...only places I can find the Blue Silk online seem to be "wholesale to the trade only".

Perhaps the DG member who posted the pic above may have seeds for trade?

PV

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Shelly, I can't find the picture I saw now. It is more of a pale blue if my memory is working right. I have found a place in Texas that sells the plant, but only to retailers. I've emailed them to see if they can help at all. Thanks for trying. If I find the picture I saw, I'll post it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2357408334&category=3184

Here is a picture. I've never done the EBay thing, so I'm just sitting back and watching.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2003 4:01 PM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they go for alot on ebay. last week this one went for like 20 for 10 seeds. my hubby would kill me for that. most wholesalers will refer you to parks and they dont selll them anymore. i could kick myself for not buying them when they had them a few years ago. i wasnt in to mgs a s bad back then as i am now. hehe

if anyone finds them please post the source.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Brugie and Marie - I have one possible source that I am contacting and hope they will have some.
Pam

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pam. Hope you have some good luck here.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I am fortunate enough to have gotten a few seeds of this for myself to grow next year, if they do well I will have lots to share next season. sorry none for now though. good luck with your search!
Laurrie

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

DG is the best ...

You might also post on

http://members2.boardhost.com/exoticplants/

It's a swap circle linked to the Morning Glory Man site - lots of MG traders there.

d:o) Judith

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a supply of Blue Silk but I'm sorry that I can't divulge where I got them. I would encourage you to NOT buy them through the seller at ebay. They infringed on my photo and my ad description this past summer. When I told the fella to remove my photo he then attached HIS name/copyright to my photo. I contacted ebay and they forced him to remove my photo from ebay but they have not changed their sellers decription to date. Its almost word for word from my ad when I started selling them there a couple years ago. Also, since Blue Silk may be a hybrid, harvested seeds may not be true to type, thus resulting in big $$ for cross pollinated plants. I'll have to check how many seeds I have left, but they are purchased seeds, not harvested seeds which would make them true to type, although there can be some variation to the flowers.

Sandy

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm sure glad some people have this one. I thought it might be gone. I'm sure glad my friend put me on to this one. It is absolutely gorgeous. Sandy, I'm sure sorry to hear of the problems you had. I guess I'm old fashioned and just stay away from places like eBay.

Thanks for your info Judith.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well i am sorry to hear the troubles you had on ebay Sandy.

i would love to get some of these so let us know Pam. and if anyone has a few to spare thanks in advance. i am glad they are still out there somewhat. hugs to all

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

The source I contaced has none so I will keep searching and will post if I find some.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure which eBay seller you're referring to - but I bought seeds on eBay last year and got some blooms this year, which were true to what I expected them to be. (I'm not sure if new seeds will form before the weather kills them off - poor baby is still trying to bloom in the rain!)

I've had mixed success with eBay seeds - more good than bad - and will continue to cruise there as a source for seeds.

BTW, the seller I bought mine from was not the 4H seller, who currently has them listed.

d:o) Judith, eBay-a-holic as well as seed-a-holic

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, there can be wonderful experiences at ebay....I have bought seeds there myself! I know there were two additional sellers of Blue Silk last year, one of them being the 4-H kid. Do you recall if the Blue Silk seeds you bought were advertised as collected/harvested or purchased seed? I'm just curious to know if they do reproduce true to type, I never get any seeds to form here in my short growing season (4/5).

Sandy

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

They were listed as "open polinated in my garden" - first time I've grown them, but they were very much what I expected.

:o) Judith

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if you all know this, but I just found it out this morning.
If a seller has an EBAY store and only lists their items there, do you know that a regular search will NOT pull it up?
A friend of mine was telling me that he saw a plant I might like, rare, on ebay. So I went to ebay & searched and could not find it. So I emailed him & told him this & he asked if I did a "store" search.
I am so annoyed! When I think of all the stuff I have been missing out on! You have to go into the SEARCH at the top of the page between BROWSE & SELL (not the little slot to type in)and then click the STORES tab and search there!
So if you did not know this, you do now. If you all did, then sorry, guess I am just a slow learner! LOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

lol, pudgymudpies, thanks for the tip, I did NOT know this, guess I am missing out on things as well. think I will go there now and look. Thanks!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi Everyone! I have sold on eBay for years and the fact that our eBay Store products don't come up on the regular eBay searches has always been a big drawback for sellers.

If anyone has problems on eBay...when buying or selling..eBay has a fantastic support group...and it is not hard to follow. If you have problems, please contact eBay..they will fix it. You need to save all email communication with anyone that you purchase anything from since this is the evidence.

As a seller, we have to report non-paying buyers...or any other problems...and as buyers, you should do the same. eBay will help you with this problem.

Hope this helps...I love eBay and have been selling and buying for years. But, I follow the rules....and let others know that I will report them if they don't pay, don't communicate, and any other problems. I expect any other seller to do the same as I do. This keeps all the sellers honest...as well as the buyers.

Stephanie
http://www.stores.ebay.com/aquaticfarmandperennials

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I dragged my blue silk in and it's on the patio table with the rest of the morning glories. It bloomed late, so hadn't set any seed, which I still am hoping for - but we'll see. Interestingly, all the late bloomers for me are without seed pods at this point. So they're under cover ... but I'm not seeing any signs yet ...

Those that bloomed earlier in the season have seed pods (president tyler, carmen, grandpa ott, and some pinks) and I'm pulling from them weekly as they dry.

Tap tap tap ... I'm waiting to see if the Blue Silk makes any seed ...

:o) Judith

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This must have been a bad year for glories to make seed. My Grandpa Otts made seed, but my variegated pink crawlers, whatever their true name is, made very little. Last year, it had tons. Hope you get some seed or can keep your blue silk plant alive over your winter time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.