has guy fawkes day become guy fawkes month?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Has anyone else noticed, that instead of having to keep our pets inside one evening, it seems to have stretched out to a longer period? We've had fireworks going off here every evening for the last fortnight,and I'm sure that there's more to come, as some of the displays aren't on till this weekend.
Last night there were loads of loud,and I mean LOUD rockets going off, not pretty, but BLOOMIN LOUD!!!!!like flying bombs!!this was at 10.30.
Now, I'm no kill joy, i like fireworks, but in their place and time,my poor cats have spent the last two weeks cowering behind th e sofas all evenings, and won't come out till the middle of the nights.
Why do they have to make fireworks that are just like bombs, their only purpose seems to be to go off louder than any other.Even the names on the fireworks say it. 'Atom bomb',etc.
At laest you don;t get those awful firecrackers now, 'jumping jacks'I think they were called. I used to be petrified of those, they'd cahse you all over, the boys used to think it hysterical.

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

A question from across the pond....what is going on over there that you are expecting fireworks to continue this weekend. It isn't a problem here. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Ep

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

you want to be over here. They go off 24/7

Epazota

Nov the 5th is Bonfire Night (which I grew up knowing it as) or Guy Fawkes night.

Traditionally we light fires this time of year (old custom) and have a bit of a celebration. Then on 4th Nov 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught with a bundle of barrels of gunpowder underneath the Houses of Parliament. He and his fellow conspiritors were going to blow the building up when all the government and King James I were seated in the house. It was partly to do with religious convictions, which certain groups still play on, and a lot to do with political motivation. We light fires, shoot of fireworks and burn effigies called the Guy. Sometimes they are political or current event effigies. We are celebrating the failure of the conspiracy, which in most countries would seem topsy turvy *G*

It's not just animals that have to stay in, small Baas do too. I can't stand fireworks and this trend of month long pop bang wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee sees me closing the curtains early and hopig it doesn't go on beyond 12 am. As I write there is a rendition of the Somme trenches going on out the back. New Years is the same, all the ships in the docks blow their horns and set off fireworks ... I hurry home early with the excuse I may turn into a pumkin.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

we have had firework work ban for years because of the links with bomb making and jittery cops and army but 1000s are sold every year. Last year the ban was dropped and the kids went mad setting them off all year and with a peak from Septemberish and Ocotober and them dying off again. Air Bombs were worst. They got banned again this year to no affect

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. I had never heard of Guy Fawkes night. I love hearing about how things are done in other places, especially around the world. It might be why I work as a nurse in a inner city emergency room where we see people from all over the world daily.
Here we do fireworks mainly around our independence day, July 4th. I don't hear too many private fireworks most other times of the year. In our state they are supposed to be illegal. But, the states that borders ours allows us Minnesotans to buy them. I also do not like them. I do not like fireworks either. They are too noisey.
Belated Happy Bonfire Night! (I do like bonfires though)
Epazota

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the explanation Baa,much better put than I could ever have done.
I can understand Mark, why they banned them, with the sound some of them make,you could well believe that it was more than a firewok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.